Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I'm currently working on removing the water pump and unfortunately its stripped. I tried different ways of removing the pump and doing so i damaged the housing. Is it possible to replace the housing? THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ALL ANSWERS!

(EDIT: This post/thread was moved fromn Engines - duplicate thread. Please do NOT start duplicate threads in different forums. Thanks.)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
03 Deville Water Pump Problem

I'm currently in the process of removing the water pump. Considering its never been changed, and seemed to be completely stuck I decided to use different tactics and all of them failed. Now the housing is chipped. Is it possible to change the housing being that the water pump seem to be wielded?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
You are turning the pump cartridge clockwise, right? Using a long breaker bar?

The housing you're referring to, is called the coolant crossover. Big, tedious, royal PITA job to replace. What did you chip?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What i did was manually break the water pump shaft off to reach the plate that locks in the housing my attempt was to force a hole on the plate and with a screw driver and hammer try to bang it out the housing slots clock wise i have used a water pump wrench and long bar but that water pump is wedged it has not been changed for ten years and i stripped the locking ears the wrench is no good for it now it continues to slip so i split the plate in the process and reached the o ring on the housing were the ring goes there is a small chip where the o ring fits into on the housing and is still stuck now with a gap on the plate would you like to see a picture?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Re: 03 Deville Water Pump Problem

A picture is worth a thousand words as they say...

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts

You are now into complete water crossover removal and replacement with a new one. BEFORE you start, either get a real GM/Helm service manual off ebay or subscribe the car to www.alldatadiy.com - and DO NOT attempt jury-rig tool work - use the correct tools called for and do it correctly or you'll continue to damage the engine.

You might have saved yourself 20 hours of labor and several hundred dollars if you had searched for and found the water pump replacement tutorials in Cadillac Tech Tips down below. Another way to locate how-to's is to Google "cadillac forums northstar water pump replacement".

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Those pics are from the pulley side correct? either way if that's a hole in the cast housing you're screwed have fun changing the whole thing(crossover). You would have been better off taking the crossover off and trying to get pump out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have followed the tutorials but if you look at the pictures you can see how the water pump looks to be completely stuck, its stripped flat. I don't want to damage more than i have already thats why i wanted to know if i can change the coolant crossover and would that solve the problem.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,449 Posts

New crossover, gaskets, heater pipe quick connect, water pump, water pump cover and gasket, throttlebody gaskets, thermostat, maybe hoses.

The pump assembly comes out clockwise; locks in counterclockwise with coolant-wetted o-ring and 73 lb/ft of torque.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts

What i did was manually break the water pump shaft off to reach the plate that locks in the housing my attempt was to force a hole on the plate and with a screw driver and hammer try to bang it out the housing slots clock wise i have used a water pump wrench and long bar but that water pump is wedged it has not been changed for ten years and i stripped the locking ears the wrench is no good for it now it continues to slip so i split the plate in the process and reached the o ring on the housing were the ring goes there is a small chip where the o ring fits into on the housing and is still stuck now with a gap on the plate would you like to see a picture?
A few short bursts from an impact wrench is usually far more persuasive than a leverage bar on these things. You might still give it a shot. You're gonna hate yourself if you have to change that crossover manifold.

EDIT:
Disregard. After rereading post #3 it seems you are beyond that and doomed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That hole isn't in the crossover housing that hole is in the water pump disc that slides into the housing. My only concern is where the o ring lining is will it leak if i manage to slide it off and put a new water pump because it is chipped there. who ever responds please read from the top of the grid so you can better understand what is it that you are looking at and what i am dealing with thanks.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,781 Posts

In that case, I'd give the impact a try and then have a closer look at what kind of damage you really have. ANYTHING is worth trying to avoid a crossover manifold replacement.

·
Registered
7,345 Posts

Can't see the chipped area that well, but easy enough to put a bead(small) of rtv in the groove anyways. Man you really beat the hell outta that thing already. You're already this far into it, get the pump out and take a better look at it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all the replies and support. Now does anyone have any suggestions on how i can remove the remaining part of this water pump. I uses a flat head screw driver and hammer to bang it counter clockwise and you see my results.

2013-01-05_09-09-04_103-1.jpg

2013-01-05_09-08-53_678-1.jpg

2013-01-05_09-08-08_149-1.jpg

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
You stripped all of the tangs that the water pump tool makes contact with?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No, they were stripped already. I didnt know how bad it was until i started it. So i taking it apart by pieces thinking i would be able to tap it a couple of times to get it to move.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,270 Posts

No, they were stripped already. I didnt know how bad it was until i started it. So i taking it apart by pieces thinking i would be able to tap it a couple of times to get it to move.
--------------------
So i taking it apart by pieces
thinking i would be able to tap it a couple of times to get it to move.

I'm sorry to say -
but I think you are beyond the point of TAPPING IT A COUPLE TIMES -
and at this point - if you did manage to get the old pump out -
I cant imagine getting a new pump in - and sealing -

unfortunately - any more time spent on this is a waste -
you need to replace the crossover - sadly - it is NOT a fun job -

as the others have already suggested -
DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CHANGE THE CROSSOVER WITHOUT A CADILLAC
FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL - or a subscription to ALLDATA -

don't waste a dime on a chiltons - heyes - or motors manual -
they are totally useless -

good luck - and keep us posted -