Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I got quoted about 4 1/2hrs for replacement labor on the Cadillac deville for the the front motor mount. I don't have the access to do this myself and need it done by a mechanic. Just wanted to make sure that is the correct time for a repair?

Also on a side note, Has anyone opted to go with the front solid mount in place of the hydraulic one? I was looking at the DEA brand for the decisions of which type... Any review or opinions would be helpful for those that have had this mount replaced.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Can't give you a quote on book time, but take look at the solid motor mount made by Northstar Performance.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,441 Posts
Book rate (retail) on the front mount is 4 hours - and GM warranty rate is 1 (one) hour !

If you can wait, have Jake build one of his solid/rubber buffered ones for you. If you don't drive the car to its limits very often, and need it repaired soon, an Anchor mount from RockAuto should be just fine.

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Book rate (retail) on the front mount is 4 hours - and GM warranty rate is 1 (one) hour !

If you can wait, have Jake build one of his solid/rubber buffered ones for you. If you don't drive the car to its limits very often, and need it repaired soon, an Anchor mount from RockAuto should be just fine.
Idea on the cost of Jake's mount?
And, who is Jake? How do I get ahold of him?

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I decided to purchase one from Jake @ Northstar performance on Monday. Quite pricey, but I have yet to see the craftsmanship and unsure of when it will arrive...

I wanted to also reach for additional tech help- I'll be looking for a shop most likely in the 77554 area (Galveston, TX) to install the mount. Some places are opposed due to labor warranty or other associated liability concerns.

Before I continue to venture onward to find a suitable mechanic for the job, I figure I could try on CadillacForums if someone is nearby. I am looking near Galveston, but I can travel. At best Hitchcock, La Marque, or Texas City area. Can do Freeport as well... If anyone can of service please let me know.

·
Registered
2003 Deville DTS
204 Posts
How can you tell if a motor mount needs to be replaced without having a dealer/mechanic tell you it does?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Inspect it, easier said than done.

The front and side mounts are hydraulic. When they tear, they leak. Once they're empty it's harder to tell, you have to look close enough to see the tear.

It's easier to check the front mount, you can just brake torque the engine. Good open, foot FIRMLY on the brake, car in drive. Bring the revs to 2K or so for about a second or two. The engine shouldn't lift much more than an inch.

·
Registered
2002 STS, 2005 CTS 3.6
413 Posts
How can you tell if a motor mount needs to be replaced without having a dealer/mechanic tell you it does?
Easy. If you have any slopiness when shifting in and out of gear, the front mount is likely shot. Being these cars are getting old now, most are done, they don't last very long to begin with. Feels like a different car when it's changed. Much more solid and the power is getting to the ground.

Just had mine replaced on the SLS, took the shop an hour and it was their first time doing it on a N*. They supported the engine with a tranny jack and a large piece of wood. Then dropped the two front cradle bolts, the two upper mount bracket bolts and the lower bolt on the mount itself. Then they pulled the whole bracket/mount assembly out, by twisting and turning it until they had enough room to slide it out. Then changed the mount and put it all back.

Funny how book time is 4 1/2 hours, yet GM warranty time is only 1 hour. What a rip off.

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
Motor mounts....we've shipped about 20 or so since I introduced them. Priority is given to the stud kits (I have no choice, we need to make sure those ship out in a timely fashion). We recently got hammered with stud kit orders so mounts are shipping a bit slow right now. I haven't taken a day off in a long time and I will not until motor mounts are shipping same day again. Thank you for your patience, and your business.

This is a review from one of our customers in California, as excerpted from a post to our company FB page:

I finally had my engine mount installed and let me tell you it's night and day from the factory mount I do feel a slight vibration but the trade off is a tight and responsive Cadillac and I feel so much more confident in LA traffic. My biggest complaint with this car has always been that slight hesitation when you really need to make a move and in LA that split second can cost you. Thank you Jake your a miracle worker. I would recommend this to anyone this is number 5 or 6 for me hopefully yours will be the last!
This man lives in Los Angeles, and his father came to me from New Hampshire last year for engine and transmission repair. I installed one of these mounts in his father's car as well.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS, 2003 Deville
282 Posts
I just ordered a 2nd one of Jakes front motor mounts. The first one went on my 2001 Deville when I rebuilt the engine last January and this 2nd one will go on my wife's 2003 Deville. Right now it shakes badly at each shift and also when you let off the gas. The solid mount is nice and firm and I don't really feel any engine vibration transferred to the frame. Yes, they are pricy but it will be the last mount you have to buy. The first one replaced a 4 year old mount and the car was not driven hard at all.

·
Registered
97 ETC x2, 04 GXP, 04 STS x2, 97 ESC, 99 Deville, 05 SRX
2,603 Posts
Engine mounts will be taken off the market for about 2 months.

It takes too much time to build them for the cost. I've invested in new jigs and new rubber cartridges that will improve vibration deadening. As with all products; perfection and speed of production only comes with time.

In the next two months I'm moving into a new 27,000 square foot shop, getting married, and have sold my home. NOTHING will hinder production of the stud kits so my focus is there. I'll relaunch the mounts when I've improved them to my satisfaction and production speed results in a profit worth building them for.

Samert - considering I wasn't able to help you in a timely manner, 50% off on a future improved mount when I've got production squared away. I'll be putting a "pre-order" notice on the page on my site, and it will be removed once at least 20 have been built and stocked.

·
Registered
2003 Deville, base
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jake, I received your mount. Well done on mount fabrication.
Didn't know the extent of your transition with a new shop and motor mount improvements. Thank you for also taking the time to reach out in response to my emails.
Congratulations on your marriage. Hope all is well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts