Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 93 CTS runs fine and starts perfectly - most of the time. However, about once a week, the car turns over normally, but won't start. It is like there is no ignition. It spins rapidly, but doesn't even try to "hit". In the instances when it won't start, it has always been sitting for 3 to 4 hours. If I leave the car for a couple more hours and try again, it then starts and runs normally. It is as if there is a narrow band of temperatures at which this problem happens, although this may be a red herring, since I only have two instances from which to draw any conclusions.

The car has a NAV unit. Is there any way I can get the ODB2 codes without buying a reader?

The car has every possible option, including auto trans. Has anyone else had this issue?

·
Registered
2006 CTS 2.8L
2,471 Posts
Re: 93 CTS won't start - sometimes

I once got my CTS up to 88MPH and it turned into a 91 CTS. It took some time before Doc E. Brown to get it back to a 2006 CTS...

·
Registered
2004 Cadillac CTS 3.6L VVT Silver Smoke
173 Posts

Sorry I don't know how to fix your problem but I would LOVE to see your 93 CTS! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
none :(
2,045 Posts

You have a typo, you mean 03, man this site is tough, at anyrate I would check your crank postition sensor. Mine was doing the same thing. changed it out, I haven't had any problems.

·
Registered
2004 Customized black on tan 3.6L CTS
5,147 Posts

LOL!!! I came in to poke fun at you also but it seems they have already gave you enough shit for one thread.

I would put money on the crank position sensor as well.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

I'm ready to buy a new crankshaft position sensor. When I Google for "CTS crankshaft position sensor", I get hits for a CAMSHAFT position sensor. I'm guessing that these aren't the same thing.

That said, can anyone tell me the p/n and a good place to buy a crankshaft position sensor? My local Cad dealer seems to want $250 for absolutely anything I order.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I bought a Crankshaft position sensor. It appears to mount to the left rear side of the engine, just in front of the bell-housing. I would expect it to mount to the front, just behind the crankshaft pulley.

There is, in fact a sensor mounted there (on the front) as well.

Did I get the wrong thing? I got GM p/n 90494182.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Words in text still show '93.' Isn't there a diff section of the forum for those guys. After all, that car is so old, it should not be starting.

Can we ban the guy for fibbing about the year of his car?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Our 03 cts was doing the same thing. Dealer scanned and replaced a temperature sender which was telling the computer that the engine was overheateing, which it wasn't, so it would not let the car start.

·
Registered
Cadillac
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
UPDATE -

I bought and replaced the crank position sensor. I found a dealer that sold me one for $45.
This is not a job for those with arthritis or large hands! The sensor itself is located just over the oil filter on the left rear side of the engine. It is held with one bolt - one 6.5mm bolt. Once I found a socket of that size, I realized that
my short extension was too short, and my long extension was too long. Everything has to be just the right length in order to get the handle of your ratchet wrench between the oil filter and the exhaust system.

Getting the sensor out is only part of the battle. The wire that connects it to the harness snakes behind the engine in what is just a mess of pipes and wires.
To get the wire out, you have to remove the air intake panels and the windshield wiper motor. Removing all this stuff gives you the ability to view most of the wire's path - with a mirror. The connector itself is fairly accessible, so I tied some nylon string around it and pulled on the sensor. With much difficulty, I got the wire out and used the nylon string to pull the new sensor's wire back through the mess.

I hope this solves the problem, although the previous post that mentions a temperature sensor makes me think that I should replace that too. After all the car DID start 95% of the time, and when it didn't, letting it cool completely down always allowed it to start. I guess that is next weekend's job!

·
Registered
CTS 03
1,765 Posts
I had the same problem and the camshaft position sensor fixed it. I could not locate a 6.5mm socket, I asked the parts dept, he looked up the screw and said you'll need a number E8 Torx Socket. ( not a torx bit). Thanks everyone for the help.

·
Registered
2006 Cadillac STS
742 Posts
man, i'm afraid i might be the next victim to add to this list. last fri. after work, i went to start my car and the ignition would not turn over at all, no clicking, nothing, dead. But my battery seemed fine, all my lights worked, headlights came on, power door locks worked.

Called my dealer & talked to service, they asked if the security light (yellow paddlock) came on, said no, they said to wait 10 minutes and try again, nothing. Finally, i disconnected the battery, waited for a few minutes and then it started right up. Not sure what happened.

I luv this car, but I've only had it 13 months and have had a bad rear axle seal, bad door locking mechanism, replaced some kind of temp sensor, now this elec. problem. Plus I've been getting that P0128 code for low coolant temp. I'm gonna flush my coolant system soon to see if that helps (car has 75K on it), otherwise I'll probably have to replace the thermostat, which from the instructions looks to be a pita on the 03 3.2. The dealer quoted me $500 to do it, no warranty, will probably try to replace it myself.

Can't understand why they make routine things like changing spark plugs or a thermostat almost impossible to perform for a diy mechanic. Guess they must think that all caddy owners are too pretentious to work on their own cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts