Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I received a letter yesterday from OnStar stating my 03 CTS with the analog system can be upgraded to the digital system. It will cost $15.00 at my dealer and also I have to purchase a one year "Safe & Sound" subscription contract. Now I don't have to switch over to a "Bluetooth System."
Hope the attached copy of the letter comes out OK.
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
Yep, I did the V and CTS last month. I was the first to do it at my dealer. They hadn't even heard of it yet lol.

·
Registered
18 ATS-V, 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS, 04 CTS
6,676 Posts
Sounds good, can they do it while you wait?
Well, the radios and Onstar equipment are worked on by an outside company up here in Canada. They come in once a day, whenever they feel like it. So I had to drop my car off in the morning and then whenever they came in, it'd get worked on.

D

·
0 Posts
Can you guys tell me what this will do to my 03 and also what is the cost of the year subscription??? What is the purpose of this upgrade??

·
Registered
2003 CTS
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you guys tell me what this will do to my 03 and also what is the cost of the year subscription??? What is the purpose of this upgrade??
I don't know what you mean by your first question. The cost is $199.00 and if you don't switch over from the anolog by Dec. 31st. you won't be able to use OnStar anymore, it will be didital only.

·
Registered
41,009 Posts
Probably nothing. However the analog will not work after January 2008. If you don't upgrade, you won't have OnStar at all.

·
Registered
NONE
1,423 Posts
Only took about 1 hr to do my 2004 GMC truck. All they had to do was change a control box. Everything else stayed and you consent to give your current equipement they take out to GM in consideration for the free upgrade. Also, it takes 24 hrs for OnStar to complete the upgrade process and there are no refunds of the 1 yr service. If you buy another car, you cannot carry it over to that vehicle, its over.

Also, if you don't do it know, after Jan. 01, 2008 is will cost you a lot more to have it done. No free equipment or install.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
I'm debating whether to do this upgrade or not. We plan to unload the CTS whenever we find a deal (probably an SRX or a Buick Enclave) too good to pass on. Still, the car will probably be worth a bit more to a potential buyer if it has the digital OnStar upgrade.

Those of you who have had it converted - does the upgrade include the newer function of being able to input an entire phone number being called at one go? Or is it still necessary to input the number you are calling one digit at a time & wait for OnStar to verify each digit before telling it to dial?

·
See you in the funny papers
04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(
26,239 Posts
Yes, it includes the compete number voice dialing, eliminating the old "say + pause" technique (it also recognizes the number "two" a lot better).

Call coverage and quality is better as well- worth the money, IMO.

·
Registered
CTS
1,756 Posts
Yes, it includes the compete number voice dialing, eliminating the old "say + pause" technique (it also recognizes the number "two" a lot better).

Call coverage and quality is better as well- worth the money, IMO.
Thank you kindly - appreciate the info. :thumbsup:

The old digit-by-digit method can cause a strong man to weep - and number recognition can be a real bitch with the old system.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
Just for reference, this affects ALL analog cell phones, not just On-Star. The FCC is reallocating bandwidth, and Jan '08 is the deadline for ceasing all Analog Cell phone RF bandwidth allocation. For $15, it's totally worth it, although I haven't done it yet. I keep the service as insurance (If the airbags deploy, they call you right away and the GPS tells them exactly where you are), but have never really used it. I plan to keep it for as long as I own the car.

My previous vehicle (lifted Grand Cherokee) was rear ended by an 18 wheeler at a stoplight and folded up like a smashed coke can, being thrown 50 feet into the intersection. I was lucky enough to walk away, after they pried the doors open, and I decided from then on out, I wanted a safe and comfortable car. The On-Star on the CTS was one of the selling points (OK, well after the complete cool looks), for me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts