Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have checked out as many threads as I can about changing out the exhaust.. but I have not seen any about anyone who has an 03 CTS with the 3.2. I have installed V exhaust already.

I have been following this thread http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-forum-2003-through-2007/165682-i-finally-broke-down-custom-exhaust.html I finally broke down... (CUSTOM EXHAUST) and he is doing the X Pipe with a dual in/out then straight out the back...

I was wondering if the X will give me, I am sure only a little, but some more performance as well as a better sound? I did get a small amount with just adding the V exhaust and a better sound but I would like a little bit more..

I will leave the stock mufflers for now and maybe... change them out with Magnaflows later if I like the sound..

Any thoughts or ideas?

·
Registered
2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED
2,424 Posts
According to Magnaflow:

"MagnaFlow's Stainless Steel Tru-X Crossover Pipe represents a significant leap forward in technology over traditional H-pipes. The more gentle radius allows for better exhaust gas scavenging, noise cancellation and better balance between cylinder banks. The result is a significant increase in power and torque but a reduction in db sound levels...the best of both worlds."

If you are looking for some more power and sound, lose the stock mufflers. They are restrictive and are not made to produce a nice exhaust note, they are designed to keep the exhaust quite. You can also consider "gutting" the stock V mufflers to produce more flow/sound.

Again I will say that the 2.5" pipes from the V are probably not helping your performance at all. Many people think that having the biggest diameter pipe is the best way to make power. This is not true. Due to a variety of factors, extensive testing is required, and there has been extensive dyno testing to prove this. Although maybe not with a 3.2L CTS, but many many other vehicles with all different engine sizes across the globe.

It is a fine line to reduce backpressure while maintaining good exhaust velocity. It is not about getting the biggest pipe, it is about getting a more efficient pipe diameter while maintaining exhaust velocity.

There has to be a balanced design to enhance the maximum engine output, exhaust gas velocity, and sound. For example, imagine blowing air through a straw (comparing it to a smaller diameter pipe). This would take time to release all the air from your mouth, and you would feel pressure in your mouth while doing so. Now imagine blowing air through a paper towel roll (comparing it to a larger diameter pipe). You will relieve all your air much faster and feel little or no air pressure in your mouth because of the larger capacity of the tube. This is why it is important to get the correct size piping in order to relieve backpressure while maintaining thermal efficiency.

When performance is in consideration keep in mind that the goal is to improve exhaust flow. In most cases, just changing the restrictive OEM muffler and replacing it with the same size straight-through type muffler will do the job.

To reduce additional backpressure, the OEM exhaust tubing can be replaced with mandrel-bent tubing of the same size or one size up from the OEM. As a general rule, you can enlarge the pipe diameter of your OEM exhaust system by 1/4 to 1/2-inch to increase your horsepower. However, any additional increase in pipe diameter is likely to decrease your performance; specifically, low end torque.

The only way to truly get the BEST performance from your exhaust is extensive testing. There is no concrete evidence as to what is the BEST exhaust setup for a 3.2L CTS, or a 3.6L CTS for that matter. In my opinion this is because anyone that is into performance that seriously, and willing to spend the money to do it, would not bother with a 3.2L or 3.6L CTS.

Anything anyone tells you is their opinion until they show some hard evidence, and I just dont see it happening with our cars.

Do some research online, see what people here on the forums say, ask a professional at your local exhaust shop, get all the info you can from every source you can, and then make your best educated... guess.

This is probably way more then you expected for an answer... haha! I just started ranting... and possibly went off topic slightly... :D

So, I guess what I am saying is.. yea, get a X pipe for a little better performance, they are PROVEN to work. Search Google, its a fact. As for sound... eh, I dont know yet. I do recall one person on the forum removing a X pipe because he didnt like the sound, or it was loud. I forget exactly why at the moment...

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
227 Posts

[To reduce additional backpressure, the OEM exhaust tubing can be replaced with mandrel-bent tubing of the same size or one size up from the OEM. As a general rule, you can enlarge the pipe diameter of your OEM exhaust system by 1/4 to 1/2-inch to increase your horsepower. However, any additional increase in pipe diameter is likely to decrease your performance; specifically, low end torque.

Our 3.2 are about 2 in. Diameter , and it says to increase performance we could go 1/4-1/2 more in Diameter so does this mean the V exhaust would increase our performance which is about 1/2 in. more then our OEM ?

Thanks for all the helpful info!

Sorry That is your quote up there^^^^^^^

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The Borla rocks. It's a no brainer once you get past the price.

Dyno tested (by me) at 200 RWHP with the stock airbox. This translates to 235 at the flywheel (17% drivetrain loss for the manual trans car), which is 15HP over stock! Torque was 200 lb-ft at the wheels (241 at the flywheel) which is 23 lb-ft over stock!

More torque rules!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts