Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girlfriend's '03 CTS (18K) does not have a smooth idle. I'm not saying its awful, but I don't think you should be able to feel a surging, or change in idle speed, at idle or stopped in D. According to the dealer, this is a characteristic of the '03 (and earlier?) models that was corrected in '04. Honestly, we hadn't even noticed it until we drove an '06 loaner and the difference was quite noticeable.
It was brought in once for this and it ran smoother for a month but it is gradually returning. (The dealer said they had made an adjustment to the computer system).
Has anyone had similar experience or knowledge of this? Much Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
The latest PCM engine calibration software is supposed to raise the idle slightly to correct this. IMHO, a 54 degree bank angle V6 engine isn't going to idle smooth no matter what you do. I think all 3.2's idle slightly rough.

go here to see what the latest engine calibration software is available for your specific car:

http://calid.gm.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
My '03 CTS does the same thing in Idle...its actually quit annoying and seems uncharacteristic of such a expensive automobile...was the tune up covered under warranty? If not, how much did you pay?

·
Registered
126 Posts
My 03 behaves in the same manner...every time I take it into the dealership, I'll drop in the usual, "Oh it also has a rough idle...can you look at it for me?" But the dealer keeps telling me that everything is A OK. I've gotten use to it already...but it is annoying.

I'm scheduled for an oil change next week, so i'm sure I will request to have them look at it one more time...I will let you know if they find something this time.

I’m also getting my fuel gauge looked at...One day I'll have 1/2 of a tank, and the next time I turn it on, I will have 3/4 of a tank. What tha?

·
Registered
Chrome CTS LP, 04 Cluster, WW sidemarkers, lower mesh grille
1,425 Posts
I have an 03' and my idle is kinda sharty...Its definately not even...I am due to take my car in next week for the problem..so I am going to see what he says...if he tells me its normal im gonna bitch slap him and tell him to fix it:thepan:

·
Registered
362 Posts
Ulises said:
My 03 behaves in the same manner...every time I take it into the dealership, I'll drop in the usual, "Oh it also has a rough idle...can you look at it for me?" But the dealer keeps telling me that everything is A OK. I've gotten use to it already...but it is annoying.

I'm scheduled for an oil change next week, so i'm sure I will request to have them look at it one more time...I will let you know if they find something this time.

I’m also getting my fuel gauge looked at...One day I'll have 1/2 of a tank, and the next time I turn it on, I will have 3/4 of a tank. What tha?
Haha, do we have the same car!??! My fuel guage is messed up too! I filled it yesterday, this morning I started it and I had less than 3/4, then I stopped for coffee and started it again and it was full! It usually does messed up redaing between half and 3/4, who the hell knows why!? it baffles me, but oh well...

·
Registered
2003 CTS Manual Trans., '93 STS
3,035 Posts
shaft said:
Ody, didnt this new software make your rpm's cut out at 6500? Or was that a different upgrade?
When I had new engine calibration software downloaded from a buddy at a Chevy dealer, I think he inadvertantly put the sofware in for a base model car. I can easily rev over 6500 (6700?) in the first three gears. The issue I had was a speed limiter that kicked in at 120mph, which was about 5500 RPM. I need to get that fixed as there's no way this car should not accelerate past 120mph on a dyno (i.e. NO aerodynamic drag).

I have to research it, and I may have to have my dealer reflash the correct one.

My idle is a little higher 700 RPM vs. 550 RPM, and is definitely smoother with the updated software.

·
Registered
2003 3.2L Luxury Raven Black
120 Posts
I too have an 03 CTS and I had bought my mine from a private party and noticed the rough idle immediately when I bought the car luckily it was still under warranty I took it in to the dealer and he told me everything checks out OK and that I should think about haveing some carbon removed so I did for $100.00 then after I was leaveing he shows me a service bulliten regarding rough idleing he had found they kept the car over night what they had to do was download something to the computer on the car this seems to have helped the rough idleing its not as noticeable anymore. (Probably didn''t need to pay the $100.00 for carbon to be removed rip off)
But I do agree about the gas gauge indicator it seems to be erratic at times has anyone had this looked at?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info. I somehow feel better if everyone else's '03 does it too!
As I mentioned, the updated software did help a bit for me also. Never noticed the gas gauge thing, though I will keep my eye's open for it.
wilx75, the work was under warranty so I don't know how much it would have cost.
Odysseus, thanks for the link to that site. Kind of an old standby to raise idle speed for rough idle!

·
Registered
2007 CTS-V, 2001 Honda Shadow Sabre
1,640 Posts
I noticed my car idled a bit more smoothly after I did the TonyA mod to my airbox. Still not the smoothest in the world, but better than before.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts