Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 03 cts in april of this year and since i have not had any problems other than the rear bezel and this.....

When i am driving on a flat highway going about 35-45 mph it seems as if the transmission shudders when i accelerate slowly.... it also happens when i am driving about a constant speed of 65 with my foot on the gas... has anyone else had a problem like this, and if so what did your dealer do/say... i took it one time already and they said they couldnt do anything and that it was normal for the torue converter... i have never heard of that happening from a converter.... also said no codes, so cant say anything...

please help me out guys.

·
Registered
Cadillac CTS
44 Posts
I've had my 03 cts for about a year now and noticed that same issue. For some reason when you accelerate slowly, that happens. I've had my car checked because I thought something was wrong but i also got the same answer as you. The funny thing is that the changing between gears are smooth and quiet. I have noticed that if you use a higher grade gas octane, it gives a smoother acceleration and less shutter from the transmission. Either way, personally, I am going to preform a transmission service and see if anything changes .

X

·
0 Posts
this seems to happen to me as well (I think)...

I notice that if I let off the gas completely at about 40km (as well as several other speeds) then accelerate slowly, I also get a bit of a shutter. It does not happen during shifting though.

It drives a bit better while in sport mode though.

·
Registered
2019 XT5
337 Posts
I had the same shudder problem on my 03 CTS. Took in in several times but the problem would never repeat during a test drive. Finally, the last time I complained about the shudder, the service manager mentioned that they had been having issues with torque converters. They replaced it at no cost, even though I was slightly out of warranty... six weeks but not over on mileage. Also found burned fluid. All is well again.

·
Registered
92' Eldorado, 97 Catera
289 Posts
Sounds like a classic torque converter shudder to me. I would take the car into an actual transmission shop for a second opinion.

Could very well be the stator. Worth getting to the bottom of to avoid major mechanical damage.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
174 Posts
Nope, Nope and Nope. I too had the dreaded shudders when I was going around 40 mph and when accelerating around curves on the interstate. I complained about it several times and the last time it was in the shop, I also complained about the analog clock on the dash being 5 minutes off from the radio clock.
Tech upgraded the carputers software and the shudder is gone, and the clocks match now too!

·
Registered
2019 XT5
337 Posts
Nope, Nope and Nope. I too had the dreaded shudders when I was going around 40 mph and when accelerating around curves on the interstate. I complained about it several times and the last time it was in the shop, I also complained about the analog clock on the dash being 5 minutes off from the radio clock.
Tech upgraded the carputers software and the shudder is gone, and the clocks match now too!
I also had the analog clock losing time vs the digital clock. It was described as a software problem where the analog clock was not being updated occasionally resulting in incorrect time. It was a software fix. Didn't fix the shudder problem in my case. The burned transmission fluid was a definite indicator of the more serious torque converter problem.

·
Registered
CTS
35 Posts
I too have the shudder, just got my cts and the fluid is brown? so will a fluid change and a quart of lucas tranny renew fix it ? i'm a believer in lucas products !!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts