Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
03' Cadillac CTS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went out to start the car yesterday and once it started I heard a very distinct rattle under the hood. Shut the car off, popped the hood and watched the motor while the wife tried to start it. Now I can hear the starter whining but none of the motor parts or the belt is moving. Checked voltage and its' at 12.6volts so don't think it's a battery/power issue.

I'm think that the starter must have gone bad or that the gear on the end of the starter to turn the flywheel is bad. Going to start tearing it apart tonight but wanted to see if anyone here has ever replaced a starter on these and if they have any pointers. Appreciate the help!

-Tim

·
Registered
03' Cadillac CTS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My apologies. To be honest I really don't know. I would assume the 3.6 as the car has every option, but how can I know for sure?

·
Registered
2014 ATS Performance 2013 SRX Premium
1,045 Posts
On the 3.6L it looks straightforward, see photo starter motor engages just below the 10 o'clock position on the flywheel. Looks like cast mounting points on the block. The 3.2 would be the same I believe.

·
Registered
Sedan de Ville, CTS
4,764 Posts
Would the crank position sensor keep the starter's bendix gear from engaging???

Turn key.
Power hits starter.
Bendix engages.
Starter turns; engine turns.

·
Registered
2014 ATS Performance 2013 SRX Premium
1,045 Posts
Would the crank keep the starter's bendix gear from engaging???
I don't know, but that makes sense. If the sensor misreads crankshaft speed above a certain rpm (like 0) it wouldn't engage.

·
Registered
03' Cadillac CTS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya. As I mentioned earlier, I would hear something rattling around very loudly and then it wouldn't start anymore. I guess the sensor is possible, but won't know for sure till I get it apart.

-Tim

·
Registered
03' Cadillac CTS
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, just got the starter replaced. Talk about a BITCH to get to! To replace it you have to drop the cat and downpipe, remove the lower motor mount, and luckily then I was able to get it off. Damn near had to take the exhaust manifold off too. Real pain in the ass. The bottom bolt holding it in wasn't too bad but the top I had to use a couple of swivel adapters to be able to even turn the bolt. Anyways, cars starts right up now. But I have to say, it sounded badass without the exhaust on it.... *LOL*

1 - 14 of 14 Posts