Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i need help....what could be the problem here!?

Car won'won't start via the ignition switch. If I pull the starter relay and jump it with a wire, the engine will turn over. I just installed a brand new starter & solenoid and brand new battery. I have all power inside the car with key on. When I turn key to start, I get a loud slow consistent banging noise which sounds like it's coming from passenger side and I can feel it in the driver seat. So something is responding to the key being turned to start, but the starter is not.

I have read it could be ECM but I want to rule out everything else. Not sure where to go from here, ease help. I also see alot I'd threads about starter problems but none of them have a definitive answer to the problem. Most cases are intermittent so people seem to just deal with it. My problem however is persistent and just won't start via key in ignition.

Any help and guidance would be appreciated!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Run a jumper wire inside your car with a button. Boom push to start. Lol All jokes aside do u have access to a volt meter? I would start measuring for voltage, your going to need a schematic for the starting diagram. I know it ties into the security system, ignition switch, selector switch on the transmission, and possibly more. Wouldn't hurt to check the grounds while your at it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A voltage meter is one thing I do not have but I was already planning on picking one up tomorrow and adding it to my collection.

I assume there is no power getting to the starter when I turn the key because obviously the starter works when I jump the relay. So something is interrupting power betwwen the ignition switch and the starter. When I jumped the relay and it worked I thought relay was the problem. But I replaced it and still same issue.

·
Registered
629 Posts
If you can find a diagram for the relay you can check that by testing for continuity (with a multi meter) I would recommend that rather just a volt meter. What do you mean jumped the relay? Did u physically remove it and jump the terminals of the relay or just unplug the relay and jump the starter?

·
Registered
2003 CTS
147 Posts
A push button to start is no joke, thats what I had to do. After many starting issues and replacing many parts I finally found out it is my ignition switch. Try this test... Under dash at base of steering column there is a connector with colored wires going to the ignition. Put key in ignition and turn to ON position. Then with a wire jump from the pink wire to the yellow starter wire. If car starts then you know its the ignition switch itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you I will try testing the ignition switch like u mention.

By jump the starter relay, I mean physically remove the relay and use a wire to cross the terminals. When I do that it turns right over.

If it were my ignition, I would think that nothing would respond at all when I turn the key, but maybe i'm wrong on that.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also, isn't there a recall on the ignition in these cars? Could I possibly have the ignition replaced by cadillac due to the recall?

·
Registered
2003 CTS
147 Posts
Unfortunately the recall only gives your key a smaller hole with a smaller ring on it, doesn't actually do anything to the ignition switch. I too at one point would jump the relay like you say. When key is in and in on position it gives power to auxiliary like dash and radio. Turning key to start position just takes that power to the starter (yellow wire). For me a new ignition switch was too expensive. So for about $25 for a push button switch , wire and connectors and a hour of time I can start my car every time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to try to "relearn" the ECM....I spoke to a gentleman who is a certified GM tech. He told me that when the car sits for a while without power the ECM will lose communication with modules and trigger anti-theft. He says this can mess with ignition, fuel delivery & spark. This car sat in a storage unit for 8 months with a dead battery. I just bought it to flip it.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sounds fishy. I guess you could try it. I'm not sure what time has to do with anything when it's not powered, but whatever I guess.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have since researched the anti-theft system on this car and he is right. There are videos on you tube showing GM cars with anti-theft system preventing ignition start up. They go through the steps of resetting ECM and the car starts. The process takes about 30 min. I'm gonna give it a whirl....i'm willing to bet people have spent alot of time and money on parts and labor when the whole time it was the computer preventing engine start up. Obviously, it may NOT be the problem, but it's worth a try before I start replacing ignition or buy a new ECM.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
3 Posts
You ever figure this out? I just picked up an 03 CTS that had been sitting for a little over a year with 118,000 miles. Drove perfectly fine when parked (helped park it)and now having the exact same problem. Will start every now and then but I actually had to run wires up under the starter relay w a button into the cab to jump it when it wont start. Too cold out here to try to find the solution so I went w the quick fix.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts