Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
cts 2003
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 03 CTS has about 193k , Its in dire need of a change of front struts and rear shocks, however my wallet is not permissive of the gm parts. So I was hoping that some of u experts can suggest what would be a good OEM replacement setup, I am mostly interested in monroe, but open to suggestions, thanks in advance for your help.!

·
Registered
07 CTS 3.6L Wheel Performance
180 Posts
Monroe and KYB both make replacements, KYB is listed as a replacement for the FE1 suspension and I'm not sure about the Monroe. Both are boatloads cheaper than OEM, but I can't vouch for the performance on either.

Any idea which suspension setup you're on? If not it should be listed on the RPO list in the trunk insert, or you can decode your VIN. I have FE5 stock, or I would've bought the Monroe setup already. I don't want to go backwards on performance and I haven't found a review on them.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I'm currently on Monroe Sensatracs since I feel KYB always ride too rough. If you are really pressed for pricing, I have my old shocks and struts with about 70k on them.

·
Registered
cts 2003
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply Jeremy360, I will need to take a look at what the current setup is. I definitely dont want go backwards but its got to the point where going over any bump makes a thump noise so I think this is a priority

·
Registered
cts 2003
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm currently on Monroe Sensatracs since I feel KYB always ride too rough. If you are really pressed for pricing, I have my old shocks and struts with about 70k on them.
do you know what the model numbers of your sensa-tracs shocks and struts you are using, because canadian tire is havin a great sale this weekend where you purchase one shock or strut and you will receive the second for half price.. I am also considering changing out the front coil spring.. so u have any pricing info or OEM replacement info>... thanks

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
I'll be having springs soon as well if you want. Not sure on the Monroe model #s

·
Registered
2006 STS V8 1SF RWD
6,498 Posts
Springs should never have to be replaced unless they physically break, just an FYI.

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts
:yeah:

I'm gettin extra springs once I get the chance to meet up with one of the forum members on here.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
you guys have shock absorbers on all four corners of your CTS

If you PM me you VIN i'll quote you on oem replacements and any other OEM upgrades (FE3 etc) if you wish

·
Registered
2006 CTS-V
4,969 Posts

The ones with the longer metal rods are the front struts, the others are the rear shocks. These are OEM pictured FE1.

·
Registered
03 CTS 3.2L (Sold) / 09 CBR 600rr /2014 GMC Sierra
7,872 Posts
do you know what the model numbers of your sensa-tracs shocks and struts you are using, because canadian tire is havin a great sale this weekend where you purchase one shock or strut and you will receive the second for half price.. I am also considering changing out the front coil spring.. so u have any pricing info or OEM replacement info>... thanks
why would you change the springs??? unless they are cracked or you are trying to lower it then its kinda pointless.

·
Registered
180 Posts
They speak the truth, I've practically been riding on my rear springs for a few weeks and I won't be changing them unless I drop the car. Although apparently FE5 are self-levelling, so I won't be doing that either.

PM'ing you about them as well Rippy, I've had a hell of a time finding them; US price is $213-$250, lowest I've received from a Canadian vendor is $450 each. CTS-V shocks are looking better every day.

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
well my parts catalog calls the fronts shock absorbers

and

the front suspension has an upper control arm (which indicates shocks - struts mount to the body)

·
Registered
13,969 Posts
shipping to canada is tricky... i have been instructed by management here to not ship to canada since UPS charges way too much for their brokerage fees

some canadians have ordered parts from me by having them shipped to a border town package service that will either hold it for them to come pick up

·
Registered
180 Posts
Yeah, I didn't mean to derail it, but my work internet doesn't like the site and I can't PM atm(it suggests that I work instead?).

I paid $600 for shocks/struts/springs for the Cobalt, $110 shipping and another $210 to UPS by the time it was said and done. I also gave UPS $80 on a $100 pair of Powergrid endlinks, I try to avoid them at all costs(literally).

I'm almost to the point of tearing the FE5 out and firing Monroe or FE3 in there, but I've been told that it would screw up my Stabilitrak that saved my life already.

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
They speak the truth, I've practically been riding on my rear springs for a few weeks and I won't be changing them unless I drop the car. Although apparently FE5 are self-levelling, so I won't be doing that either.

PM'ing you about them as well Rippy, I've had a hell of a time finding them; US price is $213-$250, lowest I've received from a Canadian vendor is $450 each. CTS-V shocks are looking better every day.
You can lower on FE5's...Fairly certain the FE5 shock is modifiable. The Mighty Mouse mod will work here too.

From someone who drives on rough surfaces, I found the FE4's combined with your stock springs to be a great combo. Over broken surfaces, I found the stock setup to be very jittery. The FE4's are much more controlled at DD speeds with the stock springs...

·
Registered
5,630 Posts
I'm almost to the point of tearing the FE5 out and firing Monroe or FE3 in there, but I've been told that it would screw up my Stabilitrak that saved my life already.
Id love to see someone in the know comment on this. If stabilitrak is smart enough to deal with different compression on the stock spring (which effectively changes spring rates) I dont see why it isnt smart enough to deal with difference dampening rates...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Sorry, I probably should've started another thread, but there were three or four suspension topics already on the front page. I'm in dire need of FE5 rears and practically riding on springs.

If you can really sell those under $300 each, I'd be more than willing to sign a waiver of some sort and pay UPS a king's ransom if your higher-ups would allow it. My dealership quoted me $945 EACH(before install) and GMPartsDirect.ca(as in Canada sucks sometimes) quoted me $445 each.

I'll private message or call with part numbers and my VIN, I thought I knew exactly what I needed(shocks in back, struts in the front), but the catalogue has me confused now. Unless my internet is playing tricks on me again GMPartsDirect lists them at $213, but also shows the same part # and price for the fronts.

Shock absorber, cts, w/o sport suspension, perf. and handling susp. 06-07 $411.00 $213.72

Again, sorry for any confusion, I'm a bit lost too. My RPO code is FE5, which to my understanding is a self-levelling shock similar to the gen 1 CTS-V, so I don't see why the MM mod wouldn't work. I'm just feeling quite bold enough to move the mounts. My warranty expires this year if I recall correctly, so I might give it a go after the summer.

If I was riding on FE1/FE3 I would've bolted the Monroe or KYBs on already. I used Monroe on the truck and couldn't complain, I just don't want to cut corners and degrade performance.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts