Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 03 CTS base just hit 200k. So I had the oil changed in my car a couple weeks ago. A few days later I noticed an oil smell coming in when the heat is on. Also a rattling under the hood. While out this weekend, noticed sound got louder and smell stronger. Opened hood to see a quarter inch of the serpentine belt had shredded off. Got the car back home. Dear Husband took it out on a cigarette run. Mile from house indicator lights come on dash, belt snaps, steering lost. Able to get car on side of rd. Car won't crank, calls for a jump, that doesn't work. Towed car home. car is in park but key will not come out. I know sometimes before if gearshift was not all the way in park, it wouldn't come out, but that is not the case.

I have been trying to read about changing the serpentine belt. any suggestions on where to start are greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
2010 CTS Premium
180 Posts
Good chance your timing chains wore out and engine locked up. Big buck repair. I would check oil level to rule out running it out of oil. Quick lube places have been known to install wrong filter or forget to tighten drain plug.

·
Registered
2003 CTS
2,337 Posts
im wondering if the racket you were hearing was the idler pulley took a dump. my guess the pulley locked up

·
Registered
05 CTS
38 Posts
If you were driving for a while with no belt, or a really bad belt, the alternator may not have been charging properly and the battery is probably drained and may not crank the car even with a jump. Pull the battery out and take it up and have it charged at your local auto parts store, and then go from there. While you have the hood open and belt off spin all of the pulleys and see if one of them is locked up or has excessive drag.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just did my serpentine belt this weekend, its real easy, looking at the engine from the front of the car, find the top left pulley, put ratchet on bolt holding pulley in place and push to the right to lower the pulley, move belt over pulleys and into the correct route. Gently release pulley, put tools down and do a happy dance cuz your belt is on, however it sounds like more than the belt is the issue with your car, like mine. Wish i could have helped more.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
1,017 Posts
I have seen these belts get tangled behind the timing cover and wrap around the crank usually bending valves. I would start by seeing if there is any signs of damage to the cover anywhere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts