Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2003 CTS
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello , I own a 2003 CTS and love it . Recently on the highway ran over old tire tread in the road that ripped the transmission cooler line out of the radiator . Contacted my insurance company who had me take the car to a repair shop for repairs . They end up replacing the radiator and flushing the transmission system out . My insurance adjuster called and said the car is ready and that the mechanic drove it 25 miles and it is running great no problems . Here is my issue - That same day my wife picks up the car and drives 1.5 miles and now the engine is blown... The shop that done the work towed it back and called me the next day saying that my oil pump failed and caused engine failure and it would cost 3500.00 to rebuild . I call my insurance adjuster and tell her what happened bottom line both the shop and the insurance both say its my problem now that what the shop done would not have anything to do with the oil pump . Guys I have a hard time believing that the shop mechanic could drive 25 miles and it running great , turning the car off , my wife picking it up driving almost 1.5 miles and boom game over . I plan on going to court over this . Please any ideas would be great I am no mechanic at all so any advice or opinions is greatly appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
1,017 Posts
You're not going to get anywhere with court or an attorney. The repair that was performed doesn't even come close to the vicinity of the oil pump. It just a case entirely consisting of bad luck. Sadly it does happen, one downfall to not having an oil pressure gauge. Just save yourself a lot of time and money to get nowhere and shop your options for a low mileage used engine, don't cheap out and just do the timing belt while you are in there. There is nothing that could have done to cause the pump to fail, unless they drained the oil and ran it. Have seen a handful of oil pumps fail on the 3.2.

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
Jran is right. The insurance company has a whole team of lawyers willing to pull out every stop in the book. On top of that the insurance company will hire an automotive expert to explain on a very technical level with possibly some real life testing that the damage you received from hitting the tire in no way could have damaged anything else. If all that happened was the cooler line being ripped out, then the oil pump is not related. Also, the timing chains drive the oil pump, specifically the crankshaft timing chain. Even if say the crankshaft was damaged in someway, I dont see how that would also damage the oil pump. Reason being is if the crankshaft was damaged badly enough to damage the oil pump your car would of been totaled. The money you're going to spend just on an attorney is going to cost more than the repairs. Just put your pride to the side and either get the engine rebuilt or call it a day and move on to another car.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts