Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my 03 cadillac cts with manual transmission started overheating and kept popping out of gear about a block from my house?I drove home and turned it off. The next day I noticed a puddle of chocolate milk looking substance under my car. I checked the engine oil dipstick and it was normal but the coolant reservoir had it inside. What is going on and how much will it cost to fix?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,894 Posts
Let's move this from the non-specific chitchat Lounge to the proper CTS forum.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,894 Posts
It's done. Look up ^^^ in this title bar and see which forum you're in.

The redirect down in the Lounge expires in 2 days.

If you have used any sealants or sealant tablets, there's a 99-1 change that the goop is residue from that. Otherwise, the coolant has been seriously neglected and is way, way past due for a flush and change.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought the car 3 days ago from a dealer who now I cannot get a hold of. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to take it to a mechanic?

·
Registered
2006 3.6L CTS, Hotchkis Sway Bars, FE2
526 Posts
I just bought the car 3 days ago from a dealer who now I cannot get a hold of. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to take it to a mechanic?
You can fix it yourself. The important bit is getting all the air out of the system. Note that you will probably end up destroying the water pump gasket if you flush it. However that's fairly normal if the gasket hasn't been changed in a long time. Either way you should definitely flush it. Do happen to know by chance the color of your oil? If you just bought this car and the oil looks like a milkshake take it back to the dealership and get your money back. Look up your local lemon laws.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The oil looks good. The dealer is in miami n I live about 3 hrs away. He hasnt responded to my calls emails or txt so im pretty much counting him out. That goo is in all hoses I havent been able to check tranny fluid. Im hoping that this is the cause of a dumb dealer just mixing reg antifreeze with dexcool??? although it kept popping out of gear??? Anyways whats the best method for flushing all of this goo out?

·
Registered
2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
1,017 Posts
The manual trans doesn't have a cooler. If your coolant is mixed I would lean towards oil cooler failure. Common on the 3.2.

·
Registered
2005 CTS/ 2008 DTS/ 2008 STS V8 N*/ 2011 CTS4 ALL W/D Pearl
688 Posts
The oil looks good. The dealer is in miami n I live about 3 hrs away. He hasnt responded to my calls emails or txt so im pretty much counting him out. That goo is in all hoses I havent been able to check tranny fluid. Im hoping that this is the cause of a dumb dealer just mixing reg antifreeze with dexcool??? although it kept popping out of gear??? Anyways whats the best method for flushing all of this goo out?
DO NOT run this engine or drive this vehicle.
You have tranny fluid mixed with engine coolant....

You might still be able to save the tranny if you didn't drive all that far?

You must get a hold of the seller before you do anything else. (registered letter by UPS)

·
Registered
2004 CTS Lux/Sport
364 Posts
It's either tranny fluid leaking into the coolant, or a blown head gasket leaking engine oil into the coolant, the fact that you are having trans problems, more than likely it's the trans.

·
Registered
2003 CTS 1SC Luxury Sport
1,017 Posts
Its NOT a head gasket, and it's NOT a trans cooler. Manual transmission doesn't have a trans cooler. If it was a head gasket it would push coolant, have coolant in the oil, or run like $h!t. The 3.2 is very common for oil cooler failure which will mix engine oil into the coolant. It's about a 4.5 hour job.

·
Registered
06 CTS Sport/Luxury package
9,815 Posts
What is the cooler attached to the radiator then?
For a manual shift transmission. The only things that you should be seeing up front that would be a "cooler" or something similar. Are the engine cooler(radiator), power steering cooler(a simple loop or two, most likely no or little "fins"), air conditioning and maybe an engine oil cooler (but I am not sure either way on this one.)

If it was an automatic transmission, then the radiator will have an inlet and outlet at the bottom for the transmission cooler.

KOT

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry its been awhile but I just went to pull out the oil cooler and I noticed that the two lines on top of the cooler itself were not contaminated with the brown sludge when I removed the banjo bolts however when I removed the 2 banjo bolts that you have to remove before you can take out the one on top of cooler closest to the firewall those 2 were contaminated. I need to mention that before I started I had a compression test done and it was negative for head gaket or head issues. What does this mean?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts