Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
2003 CTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I own a 03 Cadillac CTS and it won’t start, yet the dashboard lights and radio do turn on and work fine but the engine won’t start. Have tried everything I could think of check the stared it was ok, battery ok, change the key switch, and it still doesn’t start. Does someone know what could be wrong with it?

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >129k miles
527 Posts
Does the starter crank the engine or not? If not the problem is likely the battery and/or alternator.

·
2003 CTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No I could only hear a little click when I turn the key to start. I checked the alternator and battery and there good.

·
Registered
2007 CTS 3.6 >129k miles
527 Posts
The click is usually a sign of weak battery. It can have plenty of power for the lights etc but not enough to crank, so I suspect it is on its way out. What voltage does it show across the terminals when car is turned off? Also, have you tried jump starting it with another car?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,924 Posts
Yup ^ ^ ^

A fully charged "12 volt" battery should show 12.5 - 12.6 volts in the display with nothing turned on. A click or series of clicks when trying to START is usually a weak battery sign. Maybe - just maybe - a poor battery cable terminal connection. How old is the present battery in the car?

·
2003 CTS
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea I try jumping it with another car but it won’t turn on and the battery is like brand new I bough it 2-3 months ago. I try all the and it won’t start

·
Administrator
67,924 Posts
I'll sit here for a few minutes - please go out and turn the Key: ON. Select battery voltage in the DIC. What does it show ?

·
Administrator
67,924 Posts
12.0 Volts is basically a dead battery. Some plate surface voltage but very little amperage output. It should show 12.5 to 12.6 with nothing turned on.

battery charge table.jpg

·
Administrator
67,924 Posts
Read Post #9 again. Jump it correctly using a fresh 12 Volt automotive battery. If it starts, let it run - drive it open road - for at least an hour and watch system voltage - it should go up to about 14.5 - 15.1 volts and stay there as the battery charges. If all is OK the car should start easily tomorrow morning. If it won't start then the battery has a weak/dead cell or there's a bad terminal connection somewhere. If the system voltage does not ramp up to at least 14.4 volts for a while after start then you have charging system problems.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello I own a 03 Cadillac CTS and it won’t start, yet the dashboard lights and radio do turn on and work fine but the engine won’t start. Have tried everything I could think of check the stared it was ok, battery ok, change the key switch, and it still doesn’t start. Does someone know what could be wrong with it?
Hello is your CTS a manual or auto if manual I just went through this try your clutch position sensor it like 12 to 17 bucks I had to pay the dealer 355 for the diagnostic and install

1 - 14 of 14 Posts