Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1995 FTS
4,577 Posts
The guy in the Cobra doesn't know how to launch it good. I've seen stock Cobra's run high 12's. And that guy had enough mod's put into it to be running 11's or maybe even high 10's. :helpless: But it doesn't take too much skill to run that AMG. Since it is an automatic, all you have to do is mash the gas.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
I hate to say it but I agree with BlackoutSpecV. the video looked to me like a "classic" case of a high-powered manual trans car with poor traction trying to race a high-powered car with an auto box and "properly calibrated" traction control.
The articles I read on the MB showed that the car launched MUCH better WITH the T/C on than it did without it. In this case, it won the race for it. Now if you were to put those cars on a track where the Cobra can actually launch HARD, the race would certainly go the other way. The MB is no slouch by any means but, it certainly should NOT beat that Cobra.
Like I always say: ......any car on any day.......
There's no such thing as a "guaranteed" win in drag racing.

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These guys discuss the race and the cars at the FuelSlut Forums.

While I agree with some of what's been said here, I disagree with calling this "drag racing". This is street racing. On street tires, things change quite a bit. However, the car that wins...wins. No excuses. Believe me, Syclone/Tyhoon owners hear this all the time - "my car is a 10 sec car on slicks at the track". But on the street we eat them up. No excuses! If these cars are better suited to drag racing on slicks at the track then they shouldn't street race.

·
Registered
6,471 Posts
Drag racing is drag racing. Whether on or off the track. This is just another case of how two cars match-up one way on paper but it has little to do with what can happen at the track or on the street. Absolutely, the single biggest factor to drag racing, besides PRODUCING GOBS OF POWER, is being able to put the power to the road surface. All the power in the world won't help you if you can't get traction.

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To me, the choice is *so* obvious I didn't even think to mention it.

Actually, the E55 AMG is gonna be offered with optional AWD and in a station wagon. I might just get me a white AWD E55 AMG wagon...I like wagons...

·
Registered
1984 Fleetwood Brougham coupe
1,576 Posts
His Airness got a dope ride!!!!!!! There......I done used up my slangs for the day.

·
...Reloaded
'05 XLR
1,698 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, the E55 AMG is faster than the SL55 AMG. The SL55 looks much cooler though. *And* there is soon to be an SL65 AMG with over 600 horsepower and 738 lb/ft of torque (as well as an S65 AMG and CL65 AMG *but* no E65 AMG). I don't think a final decision has been made whether to import the 65 series AMG's to the USA though.

·
Registered
just one
1,386 Posts
the Sandman said:
Well, the E55 AMG is faster than the SL55 AMG. The SL55 looks much cooler though. *And* there is soon to be an SL65 AMG with over 600 horsepower and 738 lb/ft of torque (as well as an S65 AMG and CL65 AMG *but* no E65 AMG). I don't think a final decision has been made whether to import the 65 series AMG's to the USA though.
The only other car I've ever seen those rims on are the SLR and that car isn't even out yet. I don't think you can get them anywhere...but when you're mj you're mj.

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/com/e/home/products/passengercars/slrclass/index.html

·
Registered
377 Posts
mike i soooo hope your kidding about hanging with that amg, it would be like a 2.5L clebrity trying to hang with you. no offense, youve got a quick ride, but that cars like 5 leagues away from you.....

id take the merc over a z06 any day, then sell it, buy a zo6 and a bunch of other cars :D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts