Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup guys, New to the forum. Just picked up a 2003 CTS and loving it.
I want to stick a new a double din DVD/Navigation in where the CD player/ Tape is. Does anyone know of anything that will look clean in there. I want this to still look OEM, not all modified and shitty. I was thinking of something like this: http://www.cartoys.com/Default.cfm/p/AVN5435_6.5/
But dont know how well it will fit. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Later.
Jason

·
Registered
466 Posts
dslplaya said:
Sup guys, New to the forum. Just picked up a 2003 CTS and loving it.
I want to stick a new a double din DVD/Navigation in where the CD player/ Tape is. Does anyone know of anything that will look clean in there. I want this to still look OEM, not all modified and shitty. I was thinking of something like this: http://www.cartoys.com/Default.cfm/p/AVN5435_6.5/
But dont know how well it will fit. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Later.
Jason
:hmm: Aftermarket, we don't do aftermarket here. Seriously, take a second and do a search for DVD NAV information. You can purchase a second hand factory CTS DVD NAV unit with all parts cheaper and with less effort than to go aftermarket. Check www.cadillacfaq.com for further information.

·
Registered
03 CTS
1,353 Posts
Shaft beat me to the punch but that link he gave is an option, but unless you really know how to program and hardwire into the stock radio, dont even attempt that, you'll just ended up buying a new one as that mod is not easy or for a novice.

Best bet is to buy an OEM Nav and just replace your current radio with it. But that also is not just plug n' play. There's some re-wiring and add'l parts that are needed to make the Nav work 100% like OEM.

The easy thing would be to add a nav unit where your change holder is, under the climate controls. Check out SDMarine's ride (a forum mbr) to get a better idea of what I'm talking about.

The CTS makes you really work to mod it :ill:

·
Registered
Black the Darkside
22,415 Posts
shaft said:
If you completely replace your stock radio you will lose the DIC (Drivers Information Center). You probably dont want to do that.
If you dont want to go OEM with the NAV you might want to do something similar to this..

http://www.umich.edu/~mattbai[/quote]

That is amazing what Mbai2 has done. The Guy is brilliant! Does he have a touch screen for a full keyboard? I would think there is a market for this product!!

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, but ive heard so much shit about the stock nav. Ive heard it sucks, as far as nav goes door to door. Also heard the dvd player is lame. Let me know if you guys are happy with the OEM nav? Also, can anyone point me in the right direction to show me what someone did by the change holder?

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
If you eliminate the OEM radio and CD player you also eliminate all presets, all messages, all MPG, all MPH, all trip indicator, temperature, the oil life monitor for both engine and transmission and a host of other stuff. Incorporating these features in a replacement will cost into six figures. As far as I know it has never been done. Good Luck!

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
SDMarine mod looks very stock. Does anyone know where he got the kit to convert his change holder to a single din? Thanks
Jason

·
Registered
2014 Cadillac CTS VSport
2,318 Posts
dslplaya said:
Yeah, but ive heard so much shit about the stock nav. Ive heard it sucks, as far as nav goes door to door. Also heard the dvd player is lame. Let me know if you guys are happy with the OEM nav? Also, can anyone point me in the right direction to show me what someone did by the change holder?
I love the OEM Nav and it does door to door directions. As far as the DVD player what do you expect from one? It plays and the picture is fine so I have nothing to complain about.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Has anyone been able to get dvds to play while driving? I never did understand what good a dvd player does you in a CAR when your not driving. Thats sounds retarded. CAR = DRIVING. So they make it not work in there? Good game engineers.

·
Premium Member
2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger
28,963 Posts
The problem comes from the fact that in most states it is against the law to have a visual entertainment device in a car that is visible to the driver while the vehicle is in motion. No manufacturer is going to be dumb enough to put something as stupid as a DVD player for the driver to watch in a car.

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, im not saying i dont understand the law, im saying the law is retarded. Seriously, i mean to shutup my g/f i would love to put sex and the city on for her, yet at the same time not having her have to sit in the back seat. But because the law we cant do this, and i know im not gonna sit out in my garage and watch a DVD on a 6.5 inch screen when i have a 52" widescreen LCD in my entertainment room. In all reality, if the driver is dumb enough to watch a movie while driving, it really wouldnt hurt america for some of those dipshits to drive off a cliff. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
292 Posts
:tisk: Its not just for the safety of the driver, but for his passengers and other people on the road. Why should other drivers on the road have to worry if Jr. is paying attention to driving or watching his movie.
It would be pretty silly to sit out in your garage and watch a movie, I think the perk with dvd navs is to have somthing to do while you are waiting in your car for someone/somthing. As for your g/f, if her talking annoys you so much that you want to sedate her with a dvd while your driving, maybe its time to buy out her lease and trade her for a new model. :duck:

·
Registered
2003 Cadillac CTS
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good point, ill ask my g/f what she thinks her trade in value is worth! LOL. I know i am a responsible enough driver to handle something playing in the front seat, i mean, i do it anyways. She brings her 12" dell 700m laptop but still it would be nice to have something BUILT IN. Regardless i will have something playing up there. Ive heard alot of Aftermarket navs have bypasses, and also even heard of some OEM ones have bypasses. Seen people selling them on ebay, or on some aftermarket ones its as easy as taking the power wire that is attacthed to the parking break and moving it to the ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts