Cadillac Owners Forum banner

03 4.6 Loud engine knock caused by roller rockers

17K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  codewize 
#1 ·
I started hearing a very loud knocking noise coming from the engine, especially when cold that sounded like a rod bearing or carbon, and the car started missing and was way down on power.

Tried all the usual recommendations for removing carbon etc but nothing worked. When I finally gave in and started tearing the engine down, I discovered three of the four roller rockers were not in place under two cylinders on the exhaust valves on rear bank of the motor.

The rockers weren't damaged and nothing was loose or worn, and as soon as I loosened up the exhaust cam and placed the rockers back in position and put it all back together, the noise was gone and it runs great again.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I don't understand how these roller rockers could come loose and get spit out from under the camshaft.

#4 ·
I'm not sure how the northstar cylinders are laid out numerically, but it was both roller rockers on the exhaust valve for the third cylinder in counting over from the passenger side, and one roller rocker from the second exhaust valve over.

What do I need to do to make sure this doesn't happen again?

The motor only has 75k on it and no signs of wear on anything and it runs great.

#6 ·
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, I don't understand how roller rockers coming off inside the cylinder heads equates to needing replacement pistons, do you mean the lash adjusters under the overhead cams or do you thing that the pistons are hitting the exhaust valve and causing this?

#10 ·
We have had just a few with a strange rattle at times. Comes and goes. The last one I had I did a carbon treatment and the engine blew up right after. I had troubles turning the engine over by hand with the plug out before I started it after the carbon treatment. We have a sucker machine and I kept sucking crap out of #7 until it would turn over by hand. Then it poked a hole in (I think) the head. So that got an engine. I think that was #3 for this strange noise.
This brings me up to last Thursday. I have an engine apart currently. I found a similar noise as before. I have no misfires. I think the Exhaust valves on #5 cylinder are hanging form time to time, but I have NO misfires. That would be very odd. If the Exhaust valves hang the followers would fall out. I will keep you posted on my findings.

#12 ·
This is like that noise from the SLS that I was working on that blew up the day you were over. It was a few months ago. The motor expired in the shop. It had something floating around in it.

#14 ·
Someone should at least, for education purposes, tell the guy that there are not rocker arms in a 2000+ N*

They're described as cam followers. It's not the same. No pushrods, no lifters.

#16 ·
I call them rocker arms all the time, but I Know what they are. If you ask a part guy for a rocker arm they give you a follower. They do rock, so why not allow it?

The valves are actuated by roller finger followers pivoting on a stationary hydraulic lash adjuster per GM.

#20 ·
No need to change anything man it's all good.

Oops, guess I'm showing my age, not quite up to speed on the OHC terminology. Thanks for the info, I added cam followers to the search thread and I'll try to edit the description thread if I can.

#18 ·
Thanks for the info and if you ever run across a similar situation or recommended fix please let me know. For now since I've already decarboned the pistons and heads I'm just going to change the oil and keep my fingers crossed that it was a one time fluke. But somehow I doubt it....so if it happens again, I'll pray there is no damage and go ahead and replace the hyd lash adjusters or whatever those things are called on the OHV engine.

#19 ·
I wasn't saying anyone was right or wrong I was just educating. They do work differently and I was trying to enlighten the unknowing. If you have the cutaway pic I bet he'd be interested in that.

#27 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.