Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading SDMarine's thread about changing out sparky bolts, I went out to see if I could find them.....couldn't. But in the process, I noticed that my serpentine belt showed quite a bit of wear, even after only 34K. The front half of the belt shows stress creases and there are small parts of the belt that have fibers coming out. The back half seems to be in better shape, but the entire belt needs to be replaced. It almost looks like there is an alignment problem causing the uneven wear. Anybody else have trouble with their belt on the 3.2? :confused:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno Bob.....I would think they should be available by now...mine's an '03. But I can't figger out how the idler pully retracts. I actually think it is a bad belt and not something wrong with the car. I've only got 35K on it and it shouldn't be doing this. Wonder if I can make this a warranty item....hmmm.

·
Cadillac Technician
none
11,051 Posts
If the belt is noticably fraying or heavily cracking it should be replaced.
Determination as to whether or not it can be warranty has to be made by a visual inspection by your dealer.

If the belt is fraying on one edge or missing one V groove then you probably have a pulley alignment issue pushing the belt off to one side.
They are easy to replace, on the 3.2.
You just put a wrench on the nut in the center of the pulley on the passenger side top and push it towards the driver side of the engine.
It's springloaded to maintain tension. Then you just slip the belt off, reroute the new one and push the tensioner over to let you put the belt on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts