Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK... so, my 02 STS had a factory remote starter. Original owner traded it into a used car dealer after warranty expired. Supposedly the r.s. was somehow draining the battery, so dealership fixed it (refused to pay Caddy to do it, so they just ripped it out).

I just had a new r.s. installed - a Viper 130XV. I haven't seen it yet, going to pick it up shortly (as soon as I'm out of work). However, the shop that installed it told me that everything works... but when you go out to the car (after starting it from the remote), and put the key in it says something about Anti-Theft on the dash display. And the only way to get it to go away is to shut the car off, and then start it regularly with the key.

They put in a call to Cadillac to see how to correct it... but it's past 5:00 so you know how that goes - maybe they'll hear back tomorrow.

Anyone seen this before? Or better yet, know what's the issue or how to fix it?

Thanks,
Brian​

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK... let me specify. Now that I have the car, I know the real story.

It says "Service Theft System" in the Driver Information Center. I can scroll through it to get rid of it - just like all the "alerts" that pop up there.
Just annoying.

Any thoughts? Or do I need to wait until Cadillac calls the shop back?

·
Registered
2000 Seville STS
687 Posts
You sure that original remote start was factory? Didnt think it was an option in 02'. Know it is with 05'. But it sounds like they didnt install the viper alarm right. I know there's hella wiring and systems that it would need to go through. I remember when I inquired about it at my local audio shop, they said it would be a whole days worth due to the car being so advanced and tricky to get working right.

MacK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not sure if they meant factory option... or dealer installed?
The used dealership I got it from said it had a "factory remote start".

And a guy I know had an 01 that had it too - he questioned why I was installing one, because it should have came with one.
But I don't know for sure.

The shop said it was a tricky install, but they've done them before. And it did take all day too. Hopefully they didn't screw it all up. Guess I'll have to wait and see what Cadillac tells them. :ill:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, I just drove over there during my lunch break. 2 Reasons: to find out where they mounted the killswitch (for dropping it off for service), and to see what they found out.

He's now waiting to hear from DEI (I think - the company that makes the GM Bypass Unit for the starter). He *claims* that the problem is the Bypass Unit learned the wrong resistance level. It's supposedly off by a couple thousandths of an ohm - close enough to start the car with no problems... but just far enough off to set off the Service Theft System light.

Again, this is his claim... I have no proof either way. :hmm:
GRRR

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have remote start installed on Seville 2000, by Avital - subsidiary of DEI, and have the same message too. I love it so much that I don't care about the message.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
BriDog said:
So, I just drove over there during my lunch break. 2 Reasons: to find out where they mounted the killswitch (for dropping it off for service), and to see what they found out.

He's now waiting to hear from DEI (I think - the company that makes the GM Bypass Unit for the starter). He *claims* that the problem is the Bypass Unit learned the wrong resistance level. It's supposedly off by a couple thousandths of an ohm - close enough to start the car with no problems... but just far enough off to set off the Service Theft System light.

Again, this is his claim... I have no proof either way. :hmm:
GRRR
They're barking up the wrong tree with their theft deterrent theory. The '02 would have a transponder in the key, not the old resistor-in-the-key system.

If they're using a bypass module then it's not a factory system. I just installed a remote starter in my '01 DTS. I get the same SERVICE THEFT SYSTEM message when I remote start the car. I went back and forth with the manufacturer of the module and they ultimately just told me the module wasn't compatible with the DTS. I know if I install the module in my parents' '02 Deville (which they say is compatible) it would do the same thing, but I don't have time to waste doing it.

One of the things they suggested that didn't work, but may work for you, is sending a ground from the remote starter (most have a ground-while-running output) to the key-in-ignition wire in the Caddy's wiring harness. This way the theft system gets a key-in-ignition signal when the car is remote started. They told me to install a diode so the ground isn't backfed to the remote starter or interface module when the key really is in the ignition. I did, and like I said it didn't work. I do get a key-in-ignition chime before the car remote-starts with the door open so I know I did it correctly.

The SERVICE THEFT SYSTEM message doesn't really bother me, it clears as soon as I put the key in and turn the ignition to "ON". Otherwise the remote starter works fine.

Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey Turbojimmy-
Im Taking my 02 dts tomorrow to get that 1A diode installed to try and clear the service theft sys message. It seems my research is better than theirs!!! Thanks to you!
=( Anyway....... One question.... Is it after you installed the 1a diode that the message will come up , but after you put the key in and turn the ignition to on it will go away? My will stay on even after I turn the key on? Im hoping that after the installation of the diode it will stop the message when I turn the key to on? Thanks for any heads up!

-J.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
jandrade15 said:
Hey Turbojimmy-
Im Taking my 02 dts tomorrow to get that 1A diode installed to try and clear the service theft sys message. It seems my research is better than theirs!!! Thanks to you!
=( Anyway....... One question.... Is it after you installed the 1a diode that the message will come up , but after you put the key in and turn the ignition to on it will go away? My will stay on even after I turn the key on? Im hoping that after the installation of the diode it will stop the message when I turn the key to on? Thanks for any heads up!

-J.
In my car the message clears soon after I turn the key on. However, the diode is supposed to prevent the message from coming on at all. Why it didn't work in my case is a mystery, but the logic of installing the diode makes sense to me.

The bypass module is sending the password to the PCM to start the car. But there's no key in the ignition so the PCM becomes concerned and calls for the Service Theft System message. The diode should solve that problem by fooling the car into thinking the key is in the ignition. I definitely have mine wired up right because if I remote start it with the driver's door open I get a brief key-in-ignition chime that I never got before. It might be a timing thing where my remote starter is sending the password to the PCM before grounding the key-in-ignition wire. If you think about it, the PCM will be expecting a key-in-ignition signal before any ignition or crank voltage. If the key-in-ignition signal happens after the remote starter sends ignition voltage or even simultaneously I can see why there would be a problem. I just live with it. It's not hurting anything. Hopefully the diode will solve it for you.

Here is a picture faxed to me by Crimestopper, who manufactured my interface module. He said this would fix it. I think, based on my somewhat limited knowledge of electrical diagrams, that he drew the diode wrong. You want the current blocked going back to the remote starter. He shows it being blocked going to the key. I crossed it out for my own benefit.

Jim

1 - 9 of 9 Posts