Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Hey, I just bought a 2002 STS w/ 58k miles... I'm very proud to be the owner of such a fine car after two weeks of driving it and 30 minutes of reading these posts!

However... as excited as I am... I place high priority on maintaining and preserving such an all around satisfying ride. I wanted to spark a conversation that would help me to gain driving experience of such a beast with out learning any lessons the hard way.

I notice the STS is not geared toward acceleration, my last car... a malibu... would get me off the line at a comparable rate.... I'll be honest... i dont like to floor the STS of the line, as to where i would pound that pedal into the carpet with the chevy. It just feels like the STS doesnt have much to prove with that 300 v8 as you sit at a stop light, with the lil racer boys sizing you up. Is that just the style of the caddy... or is it safe to jerk of the line and test that 6.5 second 0-60 claim i'v heard about?

As to highway driving... thats a different story... 70-80mph comes by accident as you realize your foot couldnt be more than an inch down on the pedal... when i get the oportunity i do floor it on the high way... for about 4-5 second burst... normally darting past 100 mph with no signs of a struggle. I can tell the previous owner didnt do that often... the first time i noticed smoke from my exsaust(maybe thats the gas spewing out the other end)... and the response time seemed to get better immediatly after that. Is that healthy for the car? Or is it a bad for the car when i drive it hard with pedal flooring and hard cornering?

Heres some sad news... Already... i have a small ding on the rear side silver window outline peice. Ya know... that shiny silver plastic peice that out lines both front and back windows. Because the Lac sits low.. an SUV may have opened the door a little hastily on the lac there. Would that be expensive to fix or replace?

I also heard a slight clipping sound under the engine... it sound like a fan, when you put a peice of paper trough it. Not very loud.. and i only hear it when i start the vehicle and drive at low low speeds. Any clue of the severity of that?

I also purchased a 2 year power train warranty on the STS. I figure as much as i have heard about head gaskets... I'd hope that might help if i encounter that problem. Would the head gaskets be a common problem on these cars or is that more of a result of neglected maintance?

Other than that... I love this car... gorgeous inside and out... graphite, 17 inch STS wheels... grey interior.. wood every where! engine is very quite (exept for when you dicide to let those 300 horses holler). All i need is some Vogue tires (as i often see on caddy's) and mirror tints. Btw... any opinions on the performance on vogue tires?

Any tips on the STS yall have for me i appreciate. I already looked to see... it does have the f45 sticker... no magneride... but then again... the previous system keeps me on the road well enough to drive a little "bat out of hellish".

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
vogues suck, avoid them, overpriced, noisy, cant handle worth a da*n
get a strut tower brace, a must have for those you like to yank and bank
look under your spare tire cover and pray you got a late 02 with RPO code F55 indicating Magnetic Ride Control
the better performance after nailing it to red line is healthy, round these parts its called giving the WOT (wide open throttle)

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
Nice, enjoy your car !
I do use Vogues on my SEville ,I have to say it's not a pure performance tyre in other words you cant buy Vogue fir its breathtaking performance .
Yes, I recommend you to buy a sway bar and you can feel the difference before and after .

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No MagneRide... but those tower struts sound like a good idea... what exactly do they do?

any recommendations for after market parts such as mufflers? I'm looking for a low growl only when I mash the gas pretty hard. Also.. would you recommend any after market CPU chips? I don't want to mess with the intake or anything like that seeing as cadillacs are not the most mod friendly.

·
Registered
2000 Dev, 94 FW (crushed), 96 FW Limo (sold), 95 SLS (sold)
367 Posts
Congrats. I would suggest some WOT therapy. If you hear clicking, it's probably cold carbon slap. Do a search on WOT and/or piston slap and you will find a couple of hours of reading. Next, do a change on the coolant just to be sure you have adequate corrosion inhibitors in the coolant. This is a safety measure to protect head gaskets.

Get out there and flog it according to the WOT procedure. You'll be happy you did.

PS: check the cadillac technical archive link at the top of the page for WOT instructions:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/cadillac-tech.html#full

Enjoy.

·
Banned
2005 STS4 1SG: GM Acc Lights, Corsa, Platnium Grille, Volant
15,987 Posts
you def need to search before you ask about chips you will get bashed heavily for that to date CadillacETC1997 is the only one to have a viable chip which was a prototype built by JET Performance for his 1997 ETC and it cost him well over a grand

strut tower brace will help with body sway in the bends, it tightens up the cornering...

exhaust http://www.corsaperf.com/flashcadillac.htm accept no substitutes...

·
Registered
1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham
4,414 Posts
No MagneRide... but those tower struts sound like a good idea... what exactly do they do?

quote]

It eliminates shakes , rattles and help you turn a bit faster . I am very happy with it :thumbsup:
Actually, you don't feel any diff on highway but turns

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
Congrats on the car man! I've had my 02 SLS for a few weeks now, the Sevilles are IMHO the best balance of performance and luxury anyone can get. Don't hesitate lighting 'em up along side the little ricers... let 'em know you've got some balls behind that badge!

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
that "corsaperf" web site is on point... i like how it allows me to hear samples...

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
that "corsaperf" web site is on point... i like how it allows me to hear samples...

i agree... STS are the perfect mix between pure muscle car power... authentic american luxury car style.... as well as practicality (with the FWD being a difference maker in less-than-perfect weather)

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
It's a great vehicle. My 2001 STS is my second (first being a '97 SLS). Congratulations on your new purchase. Don't be afraid to put the pedal down and let 'er rip. Your old Malibu doesn't hold a candle to your new STS.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,126 Posts
:thumbsup: Pop a brew and surf around in here for CORSA, RPO (under the spare tire cover) codes, driver's door tire info (speed limiter), CKP (crankshaft position sensor), fuel tank sensor recall, Hunter Road Force, strut brace (p/n 25653157, about $40 from your Cad dealer), water pump belt, trunk water leaks, forget HID's, air intakes (mod it yourself find the thread), stick with stock tires/wheels, look at www.autogeek.net, curse the cabin air filter, don't be afraid to run the snot out of it once in a while (the N* loves rpm), oil (5W-30 good stuff), WIX 51522 oil filter, change the DexCool every 4-5 years, don't get hung up on frequent oil/filter changes, a quart of oil every 1,500-3,000 miles is in the ballpark, listen for the air compressor to run 4 seconds just after startup, don't store your umbrella under a power seat, make sure the battery connections (under rear seat) are clean and tight, (an '02 is in the market for an OEM ACDelco battery now), go to www.OnStar.com and enter your VIN to see if you qualify for the upgrade, run 34 lbs. (cold) in the tires, keep it spotless, don't spend money on junk chrome or cutesy lights, enjoy the car for what it is: a fast luxury sports sedan. So there......

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi.

I bought my 01 STS in October 2005, and I am still completely captivated by this vehicle. I just can't wait to drive it - and I do look for excuses to do so. Honey do we need another quart of milk........

The N* will run "forever" if you change the oil (5w-30) and coolant (Dexron + Bars Leak) regulary. I change the oil somewhere around 2500 to 3000 miles. It's so clean it barely shows up on the dispstick.

I would recommend changing the coolant every 2 years. I just drain the rad - about 1.75 gallons comes out. I then add 12 ounces of Bars Leak into the radiator hose. Then, 1 gallon of Dexcool (in the filler tank) and top up with distilled water. Changing the coolant on a regular basis ensures the fluid is clean and no flushing is required. The cost - about $20. Pretty cheap maintenance.

I did the above 2 items as soon as I made my purchase. You never know what was done or not done, or how well it was done. Now I know.

If you maintain the N* as above, you don't have to worry about head gasket issues.

Don't waste money on chips - this baby rocks pretty good in stock mode. And you should get the revs up at least once a month (WOT). I head onto an entrance ramp in second gear and mash the pedal. I can't help but smile as I do so. I then mash it again a couple of times - still in second gear. There are a lot of cops around, and second gear keeps my speed within reason.

Check the air filter. Also, check that the throttle bores are clean. Minor stuff.

Keep the mill clean. It always seems to run better when its clean.

This forum is the definitive forum on Cadillac! Post your question/problems and they will get answered.

Enjoy your ride. I have to go and get some milk.

MG....

·
Registered
'98 STS (Crimson Pearl)
477 Posts
Congrats on the ride. I love mine like nothing I've ever had. I will just mirror what others have said on here. The N* loves to run! It actually needs to run hard. As with any high perf engine, it was built to run hard, so don't be affraid to kick it in the ass often!

·
Registered
Cadillac
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are true STS fans... I'm happy to join the club... just got in from driving for 2 hours... looking for nothing. and boy did i do some hard core WOT therapy! i'm looking forward to my first oil change... i'll take it to the dealership it was sold from that way i can ask a million questions and get a million answers. As for a mod chip... sounds like thats out of the question... matter of fact... i think i'll just keep it stock... i mean im so satisfied even that way. you guys give good advice...

what about the door ding on the silver window outliner peice. is that part expensive to repair? its a small 1 - 2 cm ding... but i just cant bare to see an imperfection on it!

and the slight rattling noise under the car at slow speeds (i hear it maybe 60% of the time within 5 minutes of start up).... any thing to worry about?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,126 Posts
:yup: 2003......Junk chrome is junk chrome, as in Taiwan chrome valve covers. The good stuff is obvious.

·
Registered
White Diamond 2001 STS
1,317 Posts
I change the oil somewhere around 2500 to 3000 miles. It's so clean it barely shows up on the dispstick.
Mike, thus begs the question. If the oil is so clean after only 2500-3000 miles (and it should be, it's still practically NEW at that mileage), why do you change it so soon? As long as you change the oil according to the GMOLS (GM Oil Life System), these are good for 7500 mile changes, easy.

The GMOLS on my '97 SLS almost never called for an oil change sooner than 5000 miles. And that car has over 160,000 miles on it now, fed conventional oil from day one, with changes in the 5000-7500 mile range. And still runs perfect every day (in Arizona heat no less...).

Cheers, Jason

1 - 20 of 28 Posts