Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1993 STS, 1997 STS, 2002 SLS, 2007 CTS 3.6
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed yesterday that the dipstick doesn't seem to fit very firm / tight after checking fluid level. I replace it and after "locking" it in it is still very loose and there was actually some fluid pooling on the engine area right above the location you check the fluid.

It also looks like there is an 1/8 in gap after putting dipstick in between the stick and the casing....Is there suppose to be an additional gasket or rubber o ring besides the one o ring that sits kinda in the middle of the groves on dipstick?

I know the way this is sitting cant be right, its so easily turned after locking it it the wires that are above it would touch and after driving would vibrate the dipstick loose...

Ideas?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,440 Posts
The dipstick top flange sits flush with the transmission fill neck edge. The dipstick has one O-ring in the groove, so no fluid should pool on the transmission case. The transmission is a dry sump unit, so there should be NO FLUID on the stick with the engine OFF.

EDIT: Ideas ??? Junkyard time. Any 2000 - 2003 transmission stick.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Submariner, thank you sooo very much for the education on the transmission.:worship: Although I felt (still do) extremely stupid that I 1. Didn't know it was a dry sump
unit (hell I didn't even really know what it was till you said it and I looked it up) plus this is my third STS/SLS, should know better than to assume or use old school methods and that I ignored the stuff written all over on the proper way to check trans fluid.

My buddy and I checked it cold and not running *sigh, I know...stupid....So, what did we do when we saw the stick had nothing on it, first I freaked out thinking I had been running around with a dry transmission then we dumped all the fluid I had available at the time (1.5 pints). Then bought two more pints when we were out and then your post came over my Iphone which prevented me from adding anymore until we verified if it needed it or if I overfilled, which it was just ever so slightly so I left it alone.

My buddy said he thought it could be just needing a new O ring, went out and bought a package at Advance with 20 or different sizes and luckily there was an identical
size. Swapped it out with new O ring and could feel the difference and actually kinda heard a slight pop when pushing it down and it locked in nice and tight like it should.

Car does have 183,4** miles so not shocked by needing an O ring, my concern is not knowing how long it was so loose, it was loose enough that with hardly and pressure
you could pull it right out -even in the "locked" position. And I believe it was loose enough for crud could have gotten in, although it shifts like a beast so hoping not.

For those like me, not always on top of checking fluids that are not right there and easy to get to and have very high milage may want to take a few minutes and just
replace that O-ring or at very least check it.

But, again, thanks a ton Submariner :worship:, and you were so right on the ALLDATAdiy.com, hell I got two years for 19.95 and it has so much information you could get
absorbed for hours looking around.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats great to hear and if its coming from you, I won't, thanks a bunch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts