Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 Cadillac SRX 4.6 engine all-wheel-drive how do one access the upstream O2 sensor on the passenger side of the engine. I definitely need to change it

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
711 Posts
I'm only familiar with the V6. It was VERY tight to break loose.
We cut the connector off and used a box wrench on the sensor hex.
The car was on a lift, we were able to get the wrench at an angle such that we could turn it via a
2 x 4 pushed up by a floor jack. The engine moved a LOT on the mounts, it was a huge amount of force.

·
Registered
2008 SRX4 & 2010 CTS4 sedan / Non-Cadillacs: 2018 Audi Q5, 2012 Chev Cruze LT
526 Posts
An O2 sensor socket is a cheap tool and handy to have in the tool box. Like nascarnation, I am only familiar with the 3.6L engine and sensor 1 is very difficult to reach. I can't imagine it would be any easier on the V8 but it might be. A little PB Blaster was a big help removing sensor 1 and 2. So was having the vehicle on a lift.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The car was on a lift, we were able to get the wrench at an angle such that we could turn it via a
2 x 4 pushed up by a floor jack. The engine moved a LOT on the mounts, it was a huge amount of force.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now that I know the Sensor is going to be work What about the ability to get to the connector is that a tight fit also

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
711 Posts
I don't remember unplugging the connector being an issue.
We couldn't fit in a special sensor socket plus the needed breaker bar but we were able to get a box wrench on the sensor hex after cutting the connector off the sensor.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We couldn't fit in a special sensor socket plus the needed breaker bar but we were able to get a box wrench on the sensor hex after cutting the connector off the sensor.
Now that I know the Sensor is going to be work What about the ability to get to the connector is that a tight fit also
. Thanks

·
Registered
2004 SRX V6 AWD
711 Posts
Not sure if it helps much but lay on some Blaster, KroilOil, or similar and let soak a while. I'm not sure if all of these are super hard to break loose or not. The one in my pickup truck only took normal rachet force but on the Caddy I worried we were going to lift the car up off the lift arms on that side, based on a foot long wrench and the jacking force it could easily have been 300-500 ft-lbs torque.

·
Registered
2004 SRX V8 AWD
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure if it helps much but lay on some Blaster, KroilOil, or similar and let soak a while. I'm not sure if all of these are super hard to break loose or not. The one in my pickup truck only took normal rachet force but on the Caddy I worried we were going to lift the car up off the lift arms on that side, based on a foot long wrench and the jacking force it could easily have been 300-500 ft-lbs torque.
Thanks a lot for all the info just a refreshing my mind bank one on a Northstar engine 4.6 is located On the passenger side of the vehicle hope to hear from you soon

1 - 11 of 11 Posts