Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
02 Escalde EXT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight my low-beams went out. Both of them. The high beams still work. Once home, I was messing around and found that if I tilt my steering wheel all the way up, my headlights come back on. Tilt it down, and the lights are back off like a on/off switch. I'm guessing I have a short in the column or stalk. Has anyone had issues with this and if so, how was it resolved? I've had this truck for 12 years and this is the first electrical issue. Thanks!

·
Registered
02 Escalde EXT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just remembered I had a remote start put on a couple months ago. Maybe the installer had a bad splice. (shocker) I'll get my meter out and dig into it this weekend.

·
Registered
2005 Cadillac Escalade
1,177 Posts
They must have programmed the lights to work when you remote start. Most likely used a butt connector that's loose and causing the on and off effect. Bring it back to them or fix the connection yourself and use some solder so it never happens again

·
Registered
02 Escalde EXT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, the wires/plug going into the back of the headlight dimmer/turn signal stalk are burnt and cracked the plug. The two most burnt wires were no longer connected and just loosely sitting in the harness. (Headlights work when wiggled). Quick question- do they sell the harness that goes from the dimmer to the bcm? And any idea why they got so hot? Bad dimmer switch? Thanks for any help. (Trying to upload pic)

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I would guess age but not sure without seeing a pic

Upload the pic to photobucket then post the link on here so it shows the full size of the pic

·
Registered
02 Escalde EXT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This is with the ends soldered back on... Not sure if this plug is going to make it. Calling some yards tomorrow.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I would be looking for a replacement harness asap as that one looks like it won't last long at all

The Chevy and gmc trucks of the same year will swap with it so that should make the search a lot easier

·
Registered
02 Escalde EXT
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oreilys had a dimmer switch in stock, so I went to check it out. It comes with all the wires to the bcm. I'm a happy man. Thanks for everybody's help. You guys are great!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts