Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
'02 Eldorado ETC 85k miles / Past: '03 Deville; '02 STS
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
High all, I just installed the two new front monroe struts. (I posted a thread earlier about if the struts were any good because I bought them off rock auto for 22 bucks a piece ?) Anyways, installed them this evening, and need to get the car aligned tomorrow. I reused the springs and strut mounts, bearings and spring isolators as I just replaced those about 6 months ago and their still appear to be in good condition. However, on the drive home this evening I noticed what resembled the sound of metal to metal contact while going over a decently rough road. I turned around and got the car back up on the lift, the spring appears to be mounted correctly on the isolators and mount, all bolts are tight, I'm at a loss. Will this sound dissappear as I get these struts broken in? Sound comes from both the left and right side...

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found out what the issue is with these 'supposedly' direct fit replacement struts. The OEM delco struts have a flat 'base' where the spring sits. And these monroes have a beveled base. With the car up in the air and the suspension hanging the spring expands and you'd never notice a thing. But as soon as you put the car back down and the suspension compresses, the 2nd rung of the spring gets about 3/8 of an inch from the base. So every time I hit a bump the spring naturally compresses and when it does it comes into contact with the base. And there go my 'noise'. Not very happy about this need I say.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,453 Posts
See if you can find a pair of aftermarket rubber spacers for coil springs. They're molded grooved split rings that you work in between coils - usually used for slightly worn spring "help". In your case you could cushion the lower coil that hits the mount.

Car back up on jackstands, springs unloaded. You could shorten the spacer length if necessary.

https://www.google.com/search?q=automotive+spring+spacer+rubber&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

·
Registered
2002 Eldorado ETC special edition last 1596 white
24 Posts
Lewis 98272, I haven't found your earlier thread, but thought it was #30142 in Monroe for passive front struts and wonder if that is why your spring doesn't sit right? Also, did you get any warnings or codes when you unplugged both sets of strut wires or did you use the Radio Shack #271-1124 4.7K ohm resistors successfully? When I check these resistors I get an actual average reading of 4.6K ohms but get 12.2K ohms from the unplugged end of the stock passenger front strut on my 2002 ETC. I got no codes or warnings from just disconnecting the right strut and assume I will when I undo the driver's side strut. I have a hard time keeping track of all the threads on this particular issue but will be trying to check back daily until I do this job myself and become my own expert on what will and won't work. Thanks to all those who give thier time, expertise and suggestions!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I haven't installed the resistors yet, however you are correct, with only 1 strut unplugged you WILL NOT get a speed limited to 90mph. But with both unplugged, you will.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
One is enough to trigger the message. At very least, he should be getting the code for the one that is disconnected.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You are correct. It does set a code and occasionally it would throw the speed limited too message, but only after I drove through rain, or hit a big puddle. I'd just throw the car in neutral, turn it off and back on and goooooo!!!! Haha. Now that both are unplugged though, the message always comes up within a few seconds of starting the car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts