Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My name is Mike. First time poster. I recently purchased a 2002 escalade with 98,000 miles for $6500. I love the vehicle. I've come to realize that this was a apparent theft recovered suv. Anyway the dome light don't come on when you open the doors. Neither do the lights under the outside mirrors. I've checked the override button. In the beginning of this search the lights wouldn't even work when you manually pushed the buttons on the map lights. So I found the relay box under the left side dash. Someone pulled the relay that's called the "INADV PWR". I put a new relay in that spot and now the lights turn on when pushed but still no domes when door is opened. The "CTSY LP" relay is still in place and have swapped them to see if that relay is bad with no change. There is power to one terminal on the CTSY LP relay where the INADV PWR one has power to 3 terminals that relay. Is there something I'm missing?? Really want these to work. Any help would be great. Thanks in advance guys.

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,133 Posts
Chase, I wouldn't count on a reply from Mike. He appears to have been a drive by poster.

·
Registered
2002 Escalade
72 Posts
I also have a 2002 Escalade. Immediately below the headlight switch is a button marked "Dome Light Override".
It controls the dome light as well as the "puddle lights" on the bottom of the outside mirrors. Push it.

·
Registered
02 Escalade
14 Posts
I also have a 2002 Escalade. Immediately below the headlight switch is a button marked "Dome Light Override".
It controls the dome light as well as the "puddle lights" on the bottom of the outside mirrors. Push it.
Yea that override switch no longer works since I had an aftermarket radio installed. No interior lights besides my map lights that I can click on/off either. The dome and puddle lights used to come on when I pressed the button on my keyless entry fob. I also just had the BCM replaced today and still no change.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Chase2015 said:
Yea that override switch no longer works since I had an aftermarket radio installed. No interior lights besides my map lights that I can click on/off either. The dome and puddle lights used to come on when I pressed the button on my keyless entry fob. I also just had the BCM replaced today and still no change.

Was a interface module used?
If so then it could be a bad interface

Also the fuse could be blown as the dome lights and map/reading lights are on separate feeds

·
Registered
02 Escalade
14 Posts
Hi, not sure if an interface was used. Let me say that I had no issues whatsoever before the aftermarket radio was installed. At first the radio was draining my battery daily. I took it back to the install shop a few times and they swore that the radio was not the issue. They popped the hood and put voltmeter on all the fuses and showed me that the dome light was drawing current and causing battery drain. They said that i would need a new BCM because the dome light issue probably compromised the BCM cause thats where the circuit ran or something like that. I replaced BCM and still no fix. After that I had another tech at another shop take a look at radio wiring and he took out the ONSTAR PAC wiring and that stopped the battery drain. Still no dome lights/puddle lights though. My dome/puddle lights used to come on/off when I pressed the button on my keyless entry fob. Also there are no lights or door chime when the doors are open. Please help!

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I would be asking the radio shop as they should have used a interface for the radio

Gm radios now tell the bcm a state of health and if it doesn't get that well it will do like it's doing now

Is there any other issues with the truck aside from the dome lights not working?(eg locks or memory presets)

·
Registered
02 Escalade
14 Posts
The other issue I just realized is that the DRL's don't kick on like they used to when I pull into a dark parking garage.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
I don't know if there is a lighting control module on your year truck but likely there is

I will check my gm service manual and see what's up as the radio only works off the e&c data bus and I am not sure if it's tied into the class-2 data bus the rest of the truck's modules use

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Ok the radio does not show as relying on the data bus the rest of the truck's modules use

I want you to check these fuses and relays
Drl(10 amp in under hood fuse block)

Ext illum lamp relay(under dash relay block)
Ctsy lamp relay

There may be a few others but I can't think of them right now

·
Registered
02 Escalade
14 Posts
Ok the radio does not show as relying on the data bus the rest of the truck's modules use

I want you to check these fuses and relays
Drl(10 amp in under hood fuse block)

Ext illum lamp relay(under dash relay block)
Ctsy lamp relay

There may be a few others but I can't think of them right now
Thank you sir, both that fuse and the relay are good to go. I dropped it back off at the dealer yesterday, they will call me today.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Since the relays and fuses are good it's likely missing a needed interface for the radio

As much as people hate to hear it you just can't buy a harness and swap out the radios in these trucks like you could on them back in the old days now they are switched on and off by the data bus via the bcm

If you can snap a few pics of how the radio is hooked up and post them I could help out better

·
Registered
02 Escalade
14 Posts
So the dealer says its the aftermarket BCM that I bought from O'reilly's thats causing the problem. Apparently its not putting power out to the dome circuit or something. So I need the OEM part they say.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Chase2015 said:
So the dealer says its the aftermarket BCM that I bought from O'reilly's thats causing the problem. Apparently its not putting power out to the dome circuit or something. So I need the OEM part they say.

Sounds to me like they want to just throw parts at it

Get a multi meter and check the voltage going to a light(should read 6-7 volts with no lights on and full 12 volts with them on

If your not getting any readings then they are right

1 - 20 of 50 Posts