Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
'02 escalade 6.0L 250k miles. On takeoff, after the truck is shut off for a little while, it will bog down about 3-5 seconds after take off then lurch forward a little bit. Nothing TOO crazy but there is definitely something wrong. It will usually only do it once while driving. Even if I sit at a redlight for 10 minutes it won't do it again. The one time I decided to not give it gas as it was bogging down it kept doing it like 5 or 6 times in the next minute of driving. So I never did that again.

It appears to run fine otherwise. Still has plenty of power. If I jam on the gas it will go. No noises or smells. I tried to pull codes with an handheld scanner but I could not get it to work so I was thinking of taking it to a local mechanic to run the codes. No lights are on though.

The truck is pretty much original the only major work was new transmission 20k miles ago and new fuel pump 50k+ miles ago. Spark plugs have never been changed. And I'm not sure if/when the fuel filters were changed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
'05 ESV Platinum, 250,000 still looking fine, really fine!
1,134 Posts
Dude, 250k wow wtg!

Sure sounds last me its more than time for a tune up. Your '02 has a fuel filter, also replace air filter, plugs wires etc. After that she'll run like a raped ape.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man! For how many miles on it it still runs great with the expectation of this issue that just started. Forgot to mention it did have the throttle body cleaned at the dealer about 30k miles ago because it started stalling out. No problem sense except it stalled one time a few months ago pulling into a parking spot. The air filter was changed a little while ago and is still pretty clean. So just change fuel filter, plugs and wires and see what it does?

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,123 Posts
When it bogs down, like from a stop sign, look at the display and see if it says Traction Control. My 04 did it and it was a weak wheel speed sensor telling the computer to reduce horsepower to stop wheel spin.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@n9lo it did say traction control a few times on take off when it bogged down but I believe only when I was going around a corner and there was sand on the ground. So I assumed it was due to that. It doesn't appear to do that every time. So all you had to do was replace a wheel speed sensor?

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,123 Posts
My technician connected up to it and compared the sensors and found one of the front one was slower than the rest and changed. Sometimes about 3 feet from a complete stop you could feel the ABS in the brake peddle. He also turned down part of the front hub to get a stronger signal.

We feel so good here when "the cadillac man" agrees with us. At least his statement is true this time.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
N9LO said:
My technician connected up to it and compared the sensors and found one of the front one was slower than the rest and changed. Sometimes about 3 feet from a complete stop you could feel the ABS in the brake peddle. He also turned down part of the front hub to get a stronger signal. We feel so good here when "the cadillac man" agrees with us. At least his statement is true this time.
I have seen it on here multiple times before and it always turned to be the wheel speed sensor

·
Premium Member
2004 Escalade 6.0
1,123 Posts
But your need to post your agreement with everyone and have the last say is getting boring. Didn't Donna teach you any manners?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks a lot for the replies. Just because it has so many miles should I replace all four? Is this an easy diy or should I take it to a shop?I looked up a how-to and it seemed pretty straight forward.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
N9LO said:
But your need to post your agreement with everyone and have the last say is getting boring. Didn't Donna teach you any manners?
I would talk

----------

chadillac420 said:
Thanks a lot for the replies. Just because it has so many miles should I replace all four? Is this an easy diy or should I take it to a shop?I looked up a how-to and it seemed pretty straight forward.

It's up to you
If it was me I would replace them all and be done with it as if you replace one now you could have the other act up at a later time

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes that is a good idea. So I found replacement front left and right sensors however I cant find rear sensors. I was reading the 02 doesn't have rear wheel speed sensors and something about how they are connected to the transfer case? Is there something else for the rear I should be replacing or do you think the problem is just with the front two? And replacing those will fix it?

----------

Also for the front sensors I have a choice between "Standard Motor Products" sensors or "Dorman" sensors. Same price. Anyone have any suggestions on what company offers better quality? Or even a different company altogether. I only want to use OEM or Better quality parts.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
chadillac420 said:
Yes that is a good idea. So I found replacement front left and right sensors however I cant find rear sensors. I was reading the 02 doesn't have rear wheel speed sensors and something about how they are connected to the transfer case? Is there something else for the rear I should be replacing or do you think the problem is just with the front two? And replacing those will fix it? ---------- Also for the front sensors I have a choice between "Standard Motor Products" sensors or "Dorman" sensors. Same price. Anyone have any suggestions on what company offers better quality? Or even a different company altogether. I only want to use OEM or Better quality parts.

Yes there is only two wheel sensors the third one is in the transfer case on all wheel drive models and in the transmission on two wheel drive models

Dorman is a known brand and I would go with them if it was me

·
Super Moderator
'05 CTS-V
8,051 Posts
But your need to post your agreement with everyone and have the last say is getting boring.
I don't see how it's a problem that the cadillac man agreed with you. :confused: You're an unknown person on an open internet discussion forum - chadillac420 has no way to know if you're the GM engineer who designed the system on his truck or if you're a window-licking moron speculating about things you know nothing about. But if someone else (or maybe multiple someone elses) chimes in with the same experience, then chadillac gets a bit more confident about your answer. So now you're a window-licking moron who actually knows what he's talking about in this instance. :lol:

Didn't Donna teach you any manners?
Donna? :hmm:

It appears to run fine otherwise. Still has plenty of power. If I jam on the gas it will go. No noises or smells. I tried to pull codes with an handheld scanner but I could not get it to work so I was thinking of taking it to a local mechanic to run the codes. No lights are on though.
If it is, in fact, a wheel speed sensor (as it sounds like), then your handheld scanner may or may not be able to get those codes. And if you're not getting some sort of ABS light or TC light or service warning, there's probably no code to pull, anyway.

The truck is pretty much original the only major work was new transmission 20k miles ago and new fuel pump 50k+ miles ago. Spark plugs have never been changed. And I'm not sure if/when the fuel filters were changed. Any ideas?
Spark plugs have never been changed in 250k miles?! :holycrap: :tisk: As jnsrev said, you need to get on that, and the other routine maintenance that has been skipped. The transmission should be fine with only 20k miles on it, but I'm guessing the diffs could use a fluid change, probably the transfer case, too.

Before you go replacing anything, it may be worth just trying to clean the tone rings (the toothed wheel that the wheel speed sensor senses) and the wheel speed sensors themselves. They get dirty over time and that can definitely cause them to generate a weak signal that triggers the system when it doesn't need to be triggered. I don't know how exactly the tone ring and sensor are configured on an Escalade - it might not really be possible to get fouled - but on one of my cars it's something I've had happen before.

Also for the front sensors I have a choice between "Standard Motor Products" sensors or "Dorman" sensors. Same price. Anyone have any suggestions on what company offers better quality? Or even a different company altogether. I only want to use OEM or Better quality parts.
www.rockauto.com has the ACDelco OEM sensors cheaper than the SMP or Dorman parts. Search online and you should be able to find a 5% discount code for Rock Auto, too. Amazon's got 'em even cheaper than Rock Auto, and if you've got Prime, you get the free shipping to make it even mo' better.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
AAIIIC
N9LO's post was a attack directed to me as it was him insulting my intelligence and knowledge that has helped many on here
That's why he thought he could mention my
Mom's name out on a public forum and get away with it(and how I was raised)

He was thinking he had the right to be the internet police
I have reported his post to the admins for that as he seems to be disrespectful towards people who are smarter then him(that is not a smart thing to do on here and he knows it)
That ain't the only time he has attacked me on here

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hey guys, so an update on my truck. I drove it for a little while after the problem started and it only got worse. On the last day that I drove it it was acting up a lot. Barely able to drive it. It felt like it was breaking very hard on the rear wheels and then releasing. I got two new wheel spin sensors, dorman I believe, ('02 only has rear sensors) and had them replaced by a mechanic friend. The truck sat for about 3 months before I had them changed. Now that they have been changed the truck seemed to be fine. Then after the first couple of days it started doing the same thing again although not as frequent and hard. Basically how it was when it first started happening. Did I get bad sensors? Maybe the sensors aren't the problem? Any input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Get a tech-2 and read the live data that will help to figure it out

Likely bad module but can be a bad sensor

Those ebcm modules are known to fail and when they do it can cause a lot of trouble and issues with the abs, traction control and can cause the truck to be like yours is doing now

Pull the abs fuse and see how it does

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the reply again cadillac man. Pulled the ABS fuse and no more problems. Should I still go have the codes ran? or just replace the ebcm module and put the fuse back in?

Also for the longest time (atleast the last 4 years) the truck would have this vibrating/grinding noise (almost like loud cell phone on vibrate coming from what sounded like the front of the vehicle) on initial take off. Never caused any problems (that I knew of) more just annoying than anything. Since I pulled the ABS fuse it is not making that noise anymore. (The truck would make the same noise,but louder when it would apply brake to the rear/bog down.)

·
Registered
03 cadillac escalade
11,902 Posts
Likely bad ebcm but I would try to get codes before doing anything else as those modules can be rebuilt

Though you can drive the truck without the abs fuse and never have to worry about the brakes doing this again(it would just be power boost brakes with no abs)

----------

The noise you heard was the abs pump kicking in

Mine makes the same noise at times

1 - 20 of 20 Posts