Cadillac Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
2001 Deville
04 Deville
260 Posts
Welcome to the forum! how does it ride? I don 't know where you're from but the bad roads here in the Northeast would tear that car apart. It doesn't look like there's much suspension travel without tires rubbing. What parts did you use to get the drop? Looks very nice

·
Administrator
2002 F55 STS, 2014 Explorer XLT, F-150s
78,023 Posts
Gotta be near Washington, DC or northern Virginia. The incorrect rear camber and wheel offset is sure death for the hubs in short order. He had to do something to disable the suspension and speed limited codes and warnings. Just doesn't look right - or good - from here. As posted, probably clanks and rubs in turns or with anyone in the car.

Welcome to CF and sorry, but that's no way to treat a good, real, DTS - the Deville performance sedan.

·
Premium Member
2000 DHS
1,852 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Looks good. I like how the headlights look brand new and also the front license plate trim is still in tact.
How many miles? Any pics of the interior?

Is that a big dent on the rear quarter panel?

·
Registered
2002 DTS
29 Posts
LOTS of incorrect information in that video clip.

this was done for a quick, cheap hack... those of us that buy this gen of devilles usually don't have alot of cash to be throwing at it for just a level ride... sorry if you don't agree, I respect that, but have recieved some good feedback from it, and I DO say that it's a temp solution....

·
Administrator
78,023 Posts
I'm not saying that replacement of active suspension parts with passive is wrong or unwise. The references to "air ride" and "shocks" locations and "struts" locations as well as various sensor and resistor workarounds is misleading. The active suspensions and rear level ride (Electronic Level Control, in GM jargon) has been discussed endlessly in these forums and all - all - the correct workarounds and strut/shock info is here - for years.

I advise ANY new member contemplating suspension work to do some in-depth homework in Seville, Deville, and Tech Tips before opening up the systems. There are easy, relatively inexpensive workarounds to active suspension substitution and rear level repair. It's all in here somewhere.

IF your original (or inexpensive Monroe replacement) shocks have intact air bladders but a failed compressor system it's possible to use a $12 Monroe air line kit to switch to manual fill/vent for the shocks and still retain level control with NO warnings or codes.

Struts, springs, sway bars, bushings, height sensors, link rods - different story.

You REALLY want to go exotic with a failed ELC compressor? Change to a set of standard hydraulic rear shocks, leave the height sensor(s) connected, and go to a set of AirLift spring bags with manual fill/vent piping. Been there, done that.

EDIT: The main cause of ELC compressor failures is condensation snot carryover from a full filter/dryer at the compressor. It's a replaceable maintenance item. #11 -

Product Organism Font Auto part Diagram

·
Registered
2002 DTS
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd bet just cut the springs. Plus the added rubber strip along bottom makes it appear 2 inches lower.
Gotta be near Washington, DC or northern Virginia. The incorrect rear camber and wheel offset is sure death for the hubs in short order. He had to do something to disable the suspension and speed limited codes and warnings. Just doesn't look right - or good - from here. As posted, probably clanks and rubs in turns or with anyone in the car.

Welcome to CF and sorry, but that's no way to treat a good, real, DTS - the Deville performance sedan.
Car rides like a champ , I put resistors ,it’s not on it’s stock suspension, springs aren’t cut nor heated. I cut the bump stops so the suspension can travel. And the camber is for fitment, also makes the car handle a lot better. I work at a shop so I have an advantage with whatever problem the car wants to throw at me so far no issues , other than axles and motor mounts . All in all cars sick it’s different I’m proud of it , it’s supposed to pisss old people off.

Welcome to the forum.
Looks good. I like how the headlights look brand new and also the front license plate trim is still in tact.
How many miles? Any pics of the interior?

Is that a big dent on the rear quarter panel?
I appreciate it foo,
Interior is embarrassing rn ,I drive it to work everyday I gotchu tho

·
Registered
2002 DTS
29 Posts
it’s supposed to pisss old people off.
I'm old, but not pissed off!:D

like I said, I'm not a camber guy, but that doesn't matter.... what you are into, is what matters. enjoy the drive.

Statillacc, no meaning to hijack the post. my apologies.

I'm not saying that replacement of active suspension parts with passive is wrong or unwise. The references to "air ride" and "shocks" locations and "struts" locations as well as various sensor and resistor workarounds is misleading. The active suspensions and rear level ride (Electronic Level Control, in GM jargon) has been discussed endlessly in these forums and all - all - the correct workarounds and strut/shock info is here - for years.
you have to remember the audience that youtube is directed at... most don't have the technical knowledge that most of us in here have, and this is the names of the parts they associate with. I used to be a auto tech, had to get out for health reasons, then went to auto parts sales... you never know how little people know about what they drive until you work in retail.... if you talk above their knowledge, you become "snooty", not what you want for viewer counts.

·
Administrator
78,023 Posts
I'm "old" too - pushing 83 with a short stick. Among other careers been in and out of the automotive business since 1954. Mechanic, sales, parts runner, parts sales, whatever. First part-time job at 15 was grease monkey at an outdoor AMOCO station grease rack. Fun in MD in January.

Latest diversion (to 11/21) was 5 years part-time behind the parts and service counters at our local Western (Tire &) Auto here on Kent Island.

It's your money and I offered my opinion and a tad of advice. Nuff ced.

·
Premium Member
2000 DHS
1,852 Posts
1 - 20 of 28 Posts