Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My deville 02 base won't start sometimes. Takes about 3 tries sometimes. It's random when it happens. No codes or lights. I replaced the cp sensors about 2 years ago cause it would stall and a small hesitation at high speeds. But I don't experience that now just the no start. Any ideas?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Re: 02 deville won't start sometimes

Will assume it's cranking just not starting. Have you checked codes or just no SES?
I would check FP, possible pump is flaky or you are getting leak down.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked for codes. No codes. What is the easiest why to check fuel pressure? Will it does it about once a week or two so it might show good pressure most often right?

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,783 Posts
Buy (or borrow a fuel pressure tester from any auto parts store with a loan-a-tool program). Connect it to the fuel rail service port (circled in yellow) and turn the key on.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,458 Posts
I think his 2002 model fuel pressure test port is over by cylinder #1. Anyway, black plastic screw cap - tire valve type.

The green cap on the line alongside the fuel lines is the EVAP test port.

Fuel pressure at Key: ON should show 41 - 47 psi, and over 40 running at idle.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok. So I haven't had a chance to check fuel pressure, but today it turned off at a stop. So is it possible that the cp sensors are going out again? The first time I changed them it also didn't show codes.

·
Super Moderator
86,783 Posts
CKP sensors are a possibility. You have the symptoms, but I can't imagine them going bad again (unless they where from AutoZone).

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I think they where from a local store but I got the acdelco ones. I did have a on going coolant leak, could the coolant dripping on the sensors cause problems.

·
Super Moderator
86,783 Posts
Yeah, unlikely you would ever get a coolant drip in that location anyway.

I would say CKP sensors are unlikely.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Just a thought, when was the TB last cleaned?That can cause hard starts and stalling at idle. Try holding the throttle slightly open next time it won't start.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Clean about 6 months ago or more. I clean it every time the car starts to idle high. And it fixes the problem. I guess I could clean it see with it does. Also could the secondary air injection box cause this? I noticed a whine coming from the front at starts and I read it is the secondary air injection box. I did see today that the box has a piece of plastic broken off?

·
Super Moderator
86,783 Posts
No, the A.I.R. system will not cause a hard start.

The "compressor" is nothing but a high speed blower (high enough to create a whine). That broken off piece is probably the intake snorkel and is a common failure, but it also acts as a silencer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts