Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 deville base. 120,000 mi.

Awhile back I had the same problem. The car would idle at about 1200 rpms. And when you would put it in gear it would climb speed by itself and you could feel it when you would stop that it was at a high rpm. I cleaned everything that didn't do anything. So I changed the TPS and the problem went away for a while then it started again and I changed it out again. Fast forward 7 months and now it started to do it again. I have no codes what so ever. Can TPS go out that fast? Should I be buying a type of brand only?

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
How did you pull the codes, and what did you clean?

If there isn't a code for the TPS, you don't need a new one.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
Does the throttle or cruise cable bind at all? If not, you might want to look for a small vacuum leak.

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
The couple TPS I have had fail would cause stalls to start with. I would check the throttle to make sure the return springs are not broken. Pop the cables off and see if something is sticking. If it is not throwing codes either this or vacuum leak as MC has already stated.
You can test the TPS with just a meter.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have checked for vacuum leak by spraying brakekleen but nothing. No I have not tested the TPS with a meter. How do I do that? What is a good to test if it could be a cable or spring?

·
Registered
98 DeVille, 97 DeVille d'Elegance
7,345 Posts
Google is your friend. Basically they are 3 wire, one ground one in and the other out. You test by hooking ohm meter to it and moving the tps slowly, any erratic movement and it's flaky. There are more detailed instructions on the web.
Last one I had go bad had a dead spot in it, meter would drop to zero and back up. Never did throw a code. It was very seldom. Replaced and stopped stalling randomly. Like I said increase in idle speed is NOT a symptom of a bad TPS though. Stalling and rough running are.

Your are checking for anything binding or bad/broken springs or cable(s). Unhook the cables and see if the throttle snaps closed freely or not. Then inspect the cables for any hint of binding(the throttle cable should move in and out freely)

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,794 Posts
We have heard it said before that the TB "was cleaned", but then learned that the "cleaning" was really just a cursory spray down. So with that in mind I have to ask, exactly how did you clean the TB? Did you hold the throttle plate open and spray, scrub and wipe the bore and throttle plate (including it's perimeter) until they where shiny clean?

·
Registered
2000 Deville Base
88 Posts
I bet u it is the Idle Air Control or IAC. Mine did the exact same thing with no codes. It is on the front of the throttle body and has a little plunger that that adjust the idle for cold or whatever. I don't know if u can test it. I only go with AC Delco now on any sensors. Check amazon for the best price. You can cheat and go to Autozone and buy one to test then return it and buy the Delco if needed.

·
Registered
2008 DTS Perf-Plat, fr 11 STS, 04 DeV, 76 Eldo Con, 74 Fltwd
436 Posts
My TPS was replaced a year ago after the engine kept stalling. I then had the fast idle a few times right after but it went away. After Christmas, it did it again while we sat in a two hour traffic jam on the NJ Turnpike. Very irritating with much lurching and ugly shifts in and out of neutral. Finally pulled off for gas (I was worried we'd run out with the engine racing). Restarted the car after a few minutes, and it was perfectly normal and hasn't acted up since. Could it be heat related? It was a cold day, but we didn't move much.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts