Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
DTS 2002
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 Deville blew a head gasket today.

I love the car but don't want to invest a fortune in it. I thought of buying a used engine for it.

My question is, is there a millage I should look in particular that would mean that either the
job have been done or it won't happen or then it is a complete guess?

Thanks

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP), 1972 Sedan Deville
26,323 Posts
How was the HG failure confirmed?

A used engine is potentially a waste of time. It may already have HG (or other) issues, and you won't know until it's installed and running in the car.

No, there is NO average mileage related to HG issues or repair.

The fix (and it's permanent) is to insert or preferably stud all 20 head bolt holes in your existing engine. This can be done for $2,000-$3,000 on average.

·
Registered
DTS 2002
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HG failure is quite evident to me, ( I think ) low coolant in tank, white smoke in tail pipe and coolant smell also.

I'll investigate deeper tomorrow but !!!

I really like the car, it's roomy, drive nicely and comfy.

Thanks for answering.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,534 Posts
HG failure is quite evident to me, ( I think ) low coolant in tank, white smoke in tail pipe and coolant smell also.

I'll investigate deeper tomorrow but !!!

I really like the car, it's roomy, drive nicely and comfy.

Thanks for answering.
=====================
keep in mind -
if you are entertaining the idea of a used motor -
it MUST be a "VIN-9" motor -

MOST of the time -
you are better off fixing your motor -
rather than swapping in an unknown -

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
86,997 Posts
You didn't blow a HG today. You noticed it today. It failed long ago and slowly got bad enough to notice.

As mentioned, a used motor is a gamble. You might get one that will last forever or you might get one that fails in 6 months. In the words of "Harry Callahan" (Clint Eastwood), "Do ya feel lucky?".

·
Registered
2001 DHS
221 Posts
Used engine is a waste of money, I made that mistake as well. If you live near PA I know a master tech who did mine will do it for $1700

·
Registered
DTS 2002
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your answer everybody, I'll follow your advice about swapping and go with the fix.

I'll keep you updated

Thanks again

·
Registered
Alexandra - 96 SDV Clyde - 15 Silvy
6,413 Posts
:yeah: Block test will tell you for sure. Make sure before you spend a lot of money.

I know fixing the engine is a hard pill to swallow, but just think, can you find a car as nice as your 02 DTS with new HGs and normserts or studs for 3K?

·
Registered
DTS 2002
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How was the HG failure confirmed?

A used engine is potentially a waste of time. It may already have HG (or other) issues, and you won't know until it's installed and running in the car.

No, there is NO average mileage related to HG issues or repair.

The fix (and it's permanent) is to insert or preferably stud all 20 head bolt holes in your existing engine. This can be done for $2,000-$3,000 on average.
MoistCabbage you are the winner, shame on me should I say ;( but I'm happy !

Finally it was that darn pipe behind the engine, went too fast in my diagnosis, the white smoke from the exhaust was in fact around it. So should get the car back tomorrow or Wednesday, took the opportunity to have the antifreese replaced with new.

Thank you everybody for your expertise ( again MoistCabbage for not taking all for granted )

I'm a proud owner of a Caddy and also to be part of this community !

AlainCadillac

1 - 13 of 13 Posts