Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi... I am new to these forums and I did some searching around trying to find out an answer about this message that is relaying on my Driver Information Center.
I was able to pull a code which was C1287 - Steering Sensor Rate Malfunction. Is this the steering wheel sensor that i have read alot about?
It gives me this message at different times when driving or just in the driveway pulling forward a little or backing up a litlle.
Or is there something else that I should be looking at? Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
95 Fleetwood Brougham / 01 DTS / 11 CTS Lux / 11 DTS Platinum
7,085 Posts
Hmm. I'm pretty sure that the TSB that was out referred to

C1288 - Steering Sensor Circuit Malfunction

I wonder how closely the two are related. Did you see the TSB on the sensitivity adjustment?

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did not know that there was a TSB out on the sensitivity adjustment. Where could I view that at to do some more research?

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
I read it on my AllData account. The TSB states that the Steering wheel position sensor is to sensitive to small movements on the steering column. I have the same thing is why I know.

If I'm making a right turn like pulling out of a driveway, and I put the smallest amount of pull on the steering whee, I get the message.

If you take a car in for this, according to the TSB, the dealer is supposed lower the sensitivity on the sensor BEFORE replacing it. I'll see if I can dig it up for you.

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
OK Here ya go. Apparently C1287 is NOT included in this according to the last line, or at least that's the way I read it.

ABS/Traction Control - Service Stability Message/DTC Set

Bulletin No.: 04-05-25-001
Date: March 01, 2004

TECHNICAL
Subject:
Intermittent "Service Stability System" DIC Message with ABS DTC C1288 (Reprogram EBTCM)

Models:
2001 Buick LeSabre, Park Avenue
2001 Cadillac DeVille, Seville
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2001 Pontiac Bonneville

Condition
Some customers may comment on an intermittent "Service Stability System" DIC message with ABS DTC C1288 stored in the EBTCM. The DTC may be difficult to duplicate. A snap shot may not indicate any concern with the Steering Wheel Position Sensor outputs Phase A and Phase B.

Cause
This condition may be caused by excessive electrical noise produced by the Steering Wheel Position Sensor which sets ABS DTC C1288.

Correction
DO NOT REPLACE THE EBTCM.
DO NOT REPLACE THE STEERING WHEEL POSITION SENSOR. A new Steering Wheel Position Sensor can cause DTC C1288 to set.
Service calibrations for the EBTCM have been released to repair this condition. These calibrations reduce the sensitivity of ABS DTC C1288 without replacement of the EBTCM. The service calibrations have been available beginning July, 2001 (CD # 7).

Important: If DTC C1287 is set along with DTC C1288, use published Service Manual diagnostics. The service calibrations do not effect DTC C1287.

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took it to the dealer today. They said the last 2 that came in with the exact same problem it was some type of wheel sensor? and when they replaced it they solved the problem. Does this sound right?

·
Registered
7,085 Posts
Wheel speed sensor? That could be. They do go bad but that's not what C1287 is. C1287 is related to the steering wheel position sensor, which is what the TSB is about but that specific code wasn't part of the TSB.

So yes they probably replaced the steering wheel position sensor. Seems like they go bad also. Glad you got it fixed.

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not fixed yet. They had to order the wheel sensor(I will find out exactly what the sensor is called) and said it would take a couple of days for it to come in. I will give an update when they get it in and put on the vehicle to see if it has solved the problem.

·
Registered
1994 Fleetwood 60" Stretch; '07 Avalanche, '95 Nighthawk
3,963 Posts
I'm sure they're just going to replace the steering wheel position sensor.

EDIT: Evidently the TSB doesn't cover the 1287. I don't remember the code mine threw when the SWPS went bad, but replacing it fixed it.

Jim

·
Registered
Cadillac
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The sensor they replaced was the steering wheel positon sensor. That was the problem and all is well now.

·
Registered
The Northstar Tuner
2,759 Posts
Tilt and Telescopic?
If so it will be back.

·
Registered
2008 SRX
403 Posts
You definitely need to give the sensor wires a tug if you have Tilt and Telescopic as mentioned above. Some drivers like their column to go in and out alot when they enter and exit or when changing drivers. This can cause the wires to break off at the sensor connector terminals.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts