Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac DeVille DTS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 02 deville takes FOREVER to heat up, I suspect the heater core is bad and tbh the car doesn't have a lot of life left in it, in general, so I was thinking about just adding in some of these little ceramic heaters somewhere:
1ddd751b-8272-4c84-afb9-e7e56806dd93.png

I was thinking if I could access a vent somewhere by cutting a hole (again, I don't really care anymore) or even screwing down it somewhere in the open, I could at least get some heat flowing to the windshield. They're 12V, I've seen people use 2 of these when converting to EVs, and I believe if I can tap into somewhere in the temp controller for power, I can make it automatic on and off, as the car relies on digital temp measured at something like 6 points in the car rather than a regular dial.

Alternatively, I can't find the old post someone made about cutting into the dash to get at the heater core rather than taking the dash all apart. If someone knows how to do that, that's even better as I had bought a replacement heater core before I found out how much of a PITA it is to take the dash apart. I can't find any good diagrams showing what's behind anything, though I have some vague idea where it sits, just not what kinds of things I'd be cutting through with a sawzall trying to reach it.

Ultimately my goal is to defrost the windshield because it gets -20F or lower pretty frequently so it's nothing but ice and chipping ice every morning after the car idles for 15min gets old. I've tried those little external ones they sell that sit on your dash and they don't work. I need more heat than those tiny things. If I mount these ceramic types on top of the dash under the windshield, what could I use as a barrier between them and the dash that will prevent burning the dash or curling it? They're about 5"x2", may take 3 if it's not enclosed in a box. They also say these ceramic ones benefit from having a fan blowing through them, which I can use PC fans for.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,286 Posts
Have you tried flushing and reverse flushing the heater core? That would be preferable and is pretty easy to do.

·
Registered
2002 Cadillac DeVille DTS
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have you tried flushing and reverse flushing the heater core? That would be preferable and is pretty easy to do.
From the shaky videos and out of context zoomed in photos, it looks like I'd still have to get into the dash to do a flush. If there's an easier way, I'd give it a shot, but I've never done it before. Connect water hose to core hose, wash through, connect to other core hose, wash through, reconnect is basically what I understand though.

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,286 Posts
Connect water hose to core hose, wash through, connect to other core hose, wash through, reconnect is basically what I understand though.
Correct. The hoses are somewhat difficult to get at, but there are a few places you might be able to couple a garden hose to them. Here's a diagram of the heater hoses.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts