Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
02' Deville (H.G. club-sold) 02 DTS black on black
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been losing coolant and finding it in the oil and i did the combustion test today, lets just say Mr Northstar failed it. The car had been sitting for 2 days and when i started it white smoke came out the exhaust for a few seconds along with my rough idle.

I basically got screwed when i bought this car unless the hg went out the month after i bought it. The oil was new and clean when got the car and it ran fine till after a month or so it started idling rough when you started it.anyways im calling shops now pricing fixing it and wishing i never bought this car. :thepan:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
4 months 2k miles and bought it from a private seller out of town (who has changed his #) i wanted to call him just to bitch, not that it would do any good but it would let me vent. :want:

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,095 Posts
Sounds like he knew what he had and what he was doing.

D

·
0 Posts
That sucks man. Hope you find someone to do a good job for a good price. :thumbsup:

T

·
0 Posts
that blows the myth that the hg problem was fixed in 2000. TexasCadillac

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i cant believe gm cant figure out how to put a solid motor in a cadillac. you would think cadillac would have the best motor of all GM cars, not the case. I could of bought a newer Lincoln LS that i looked at with the $ im spending on this p.o.s. :rant2:

T

·
0 Posts
They can and have made durable Cadillac engines but they are still going. I think GM wants or has a car that will just barely make it through the warranty. It's like a doctor they don't make much curing people but they make a lot treating them, if you get my drift. I am selling my Deville ASAP I can't pay for it forever. The clincher is that I read that there are no oversize crank bearings and cylinders can't be bored for oversize pistons. It's like a Bic lighter when it quits throw it away. TexasCadillac

·
Super Moderator
87,095 Posts
Why do you want to put oversized bearings & pistons in it?

T

·
0 Posts
Why do you want to put oversized bearings & pistons in it?
When a mechanic rebuilds an engine that is what a good mechanic does. LOLOLOL are you serious? Are you a mechanic? I assumed you were because you answer a lot of questions people ask here. I don't patch motors, if I rebuild it, I do it right. Why just put HGs on a car with 50-100,000 miles on it and not bore it with valve job, cam, lifters, oil pump, ect? My car is already falling apart, yesterday the inside mirror fell off whem I bumped it getting my walking cane out. And my right rear fender is PLASTIC what a joke and looks cracked. The car sits so low every time I drive it it bottoms out on small bumps. I had to put a quart of oil in it, why do the oil rings {on the pistons} do not hold oil from leaking? It's nothing like my 93 Fleetwood. TexasCadillac

·
Super Moderator
87,095 Posts
No I am not a mechanic by trade. I asked that because the Northstar lower end will last forever. They never need "rebuilding". They have been torn down at 250 - 300K and the factory hone crosshatch marks are still in the cylinder walls with no ridge to be cut.

I no longer view adding a qt of oil now and then as a bad thing. I kind of like the idea of replenishing the oil additives with a qt or 2 between changes. kind of wish my '03 used more like my '97 did.

D

·
0 Posts
No I am not a mechanic by trade. I asked that because the Northstar lower end will last forever. They never need "rebuilding". They have been torn down at 250 - 300K and the factory hone crosshatch marks are still in the cylinder walls with no ridge to be cut.

I no longer view adding a qt of oil now and then as a bad thing. I kind of like the idea of replenishing the oil additives with a qt or 2 between changes. kind of wish my '03 used more like my '97 did.
He's talking about a .30, .60 or whatever overbore when rebuilding. As far as burning oil being a good thing, well what is left to say?. Yeah, thats what I want out of a luxury car. :thepan:

T

·
0 Posts
He's talking about a .30, .60 or whatever overbore when rebuilding. As far as burning oil being a good thing, well what is left to say?. Yeah, thats what I want out of a luxury car. :thepan:
yea me too, it looks so cool to have the hood up at the gas station adding oil all the time and I can't wait till it starts blowing smoke out of the tailpipe. It could even get so bad that I get turned to smokingcars.com. LOL TexasCadillac

T

·
0 Posts

I can just pretend my car has a chainsaw motor and check and add oil every time I use it....I no longer view adding a qt of oil now and then as a bad thing. < if I thought this I would never give anyone any advive on working on their car. TexasCadillac

·
Registered
1993 CDV 102k
982 Posts
Are you a mechanic?
Are you?

All the things you yap about seem like what a dickheaded money grubbing mechanic would suggest someone do. Adding a qt of oil now and then really isnt a bad thing depending on the engines age and mileage. They do wear and can develop small leaks anywhere. They arent made to last forever. Just till the warranty expires.

·
Registered
03 DTS
225 Posts
Oh crap, this was an 02, that means I am going to get new head gaskets next year. Good thing I got the warranty till 2010. As for the oil, I thought the WOT runs kept that from happeneing. He did say he broke his mirror with a cane. Does this car ever see 5000 rpm? let alone WOT? I do it about twice a month, using second gear and I am easy on and off since I don't want to have a broken motor mount to go with the oil burning head gasket blowing luxury sport-sedan.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts