Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have another odd problem with my recently purchased 02 DeVille. I've owned the car now for about a month. The AC appears to be operating perfect, blowers work perfect, fans, ice cold, all digital displays working, etc. etc. Until about 2 weeks ago, one day I went out to the store. AC worked fine. Leaving the store, however, the AC just simply DID NOT COME ON. It was making strange noises from the duct/dash area, like it was TRYING to come on, but nothing was blowing out of the vents. Then suddenly, after about 5 minutes of driving, it started blowing perfectly ice cold air!!

Since this, it has sporatically been doing this.. I'd say out of every 10-15 drives it may do it 2 or 3 times, again, at completely RANDOM times. When I start the car, with A/C on obviously, nothing happens... Then suddenly 5, 10, or 15 minutes later it suddenly STARTS!! LOL... I have no idea why its doing this. IVe tried the re-circulation button, the AUTO button, turning AC off prior to shutting off motor, but nothing... It still just randomly WONT turn on...

Does ANY have any idea whatsoever what might be going on or has experienced an issue similar to this? Oh, I might also add the previous original owner of the car said a brand new compressor was installed around 29K miles, and it's at 53K now..

Thank you for reading my problem, any help would greatly be appreciated.

regards...

·
Registered
1926 Model T street rod, 2000 Jaguar XJ8, 1999 Corvette.
6,738 Posts
When it does not come on, you need to verify the compressor is engaged. We need to know if its an intermittant fan operation or compressor operation. My bet is on the fan which would lead to the fan power module under hood passenger side of center at the firewall. Loose connection or intermittantly going electrically open.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,094 Posts
Pull the DTC's and see what you have. You may find a clue there.

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
When it does not come on, you need to verify the compressor is engaged. We need to know if its an intermittant fan operation or compressor operation. My bet is on the fan which would lead to the fan power module under hood passenger side of center at the firewall. Loose connection or intermittantly going electrically open.

Yeah, compressor IS in fact on when AC happens to not be blowing. Everything seems to operate perfectly EXCEPT for the obvious fact that no air is coming out of vents. I'm guessing ur guess is right. :highfive:

Although when I called my service rep at the dealer and explained to him issue, he said it might be the blower. I asked him if it could perhaps be a relay or fuse within the blower, and he said yes but they are built-in to the blower and cannot be individually replaced. Then I asked him how much a blower costs. He said about $500. Wasn't too happy about that, so then I figured I'll just have AC 90% of the time I drive the car and windows down the other 10% and save $500. =) Just hope Im not coiencidentially on a date during that 10%. ha ha.

·
Registered
'87 Coupe DeVille 4.1L FWD(New engine '08) 1981 F100 '03FXDL
879 Posts
The dealer is not going to tell you how to fix it yourself.....The only 'free' information you can rely on from them are the driving directions to their service dept. Experience Forum members can help if you can do your own work. A member suggested you pull the DTC codes for clues....did you follow that suggestion?

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: Problem seems to be progressively getting worse. Still just as random, however occuring more often... How does one "pull DTC codes"? I assume that has something to do with the OBD system which the dealer must perform, right? (or any other mechanic??) Sorry for the simple questions, not very good with cars!!

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Are you going to do this repair yourself being "unfamiliar" with cars?? We provide free internet assistance with diagnosing and/or repairing the problem. We cannot train you to be a technician. If you decide to pay to diagnose, have them check the fan power module first, then the fan itself.

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you going to do this repair yourself being "unfamiliar" with cars?? We provide free internet assistance with diagnosing and/or repairing the problem. We cannot train you to be a technician. If you decide to pay to diagnose, have them check the fan power module first, then the fan itself.
Oh man, I was looking forward to someone teaching me how to be a mechanic via this forum! Oh well.

Thanks for your input, however just the last sentence was useful.

I just wondered if anyone else had encountered this sort of problem. Not looking to perform the repairs myself obviously. Just asking for self-enlightenment purposes, I suppose.

What i wonder is that if the fan power module is bad wouldnt it just not work at all? Why does it just work sometimes? It's either broken or not, right?? sorry im confused.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Having a car this old, I always recommend a factory service manual be purchased. Even if you are not familiar with cars, it will help you understand why something doesn't work. Then, when you get the diagnosis from the technician, you will feel comfortable because you read the symptom and the possible causes in the manual. Having a fan that works intermittantly can be many many causes. Even the best of us has to check and rule out all the possibilities before replacing/ repairing anything.

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,094 Posts
Personally I would suspect the blower. They tend to go bad more than anything else.

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Personally I would suspect the blower. They tend to go bad more than anything else.
Yeah, thats what the guy at the shop said when I asked him... He said when its not turning on, tap the area underneath the glove compartment and it should shimmy it on.. he says if such is the case, then its definately the blower and DONT run the AC when blower isnt running or else it might damage other parts, such as the kompressor...

jeeze 2002 feels like just the other day, but my car is still considered OLD. lol time flys!

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Having a car this old, I always recommend a factory service manual be purchased. Even if you are not familiar with cars, it will help you understand why something doesn't work. Then, when you get the diagnosis from the technician, you will feel comfortable because you read the symptom and the possible causes in the manual. Having a fan that works intermittantly can be many many causes. Even the best of us has to check and rule out all the possibilities before replacing/ repairing anything.
Yeah it came with the factory service manual, even the window sticker.

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: Blower has completely ceased to work. Has not operated for a full days worth of driving. Not anticipating it to work anytime soon. Extremely depressed. =( Why me!! Oh please great omnipotent God of Air Conditioning, I humbly submit to you!! Please maketh my A/Cth worketh!! :worship:

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
GOD helpeth those that help thyselves!!! Now it will be easier to diagnose.

·
Registered
03 DTS
303 Posts
I am having the exact same issue. First I was having the drivers side door blend motor ticking noise, which I have had repaired. But now the ac comes on when it wants, exactly how you described in your first post... Today it would not blow at all.. I pulled the codes and there are none. I can hear the compressor kick on, I even feel a very very faint breeze for about a minute if I put my hand over the vent.. How did you end up fixing yours? Anyone got any clues? I just paid $517 to get the darn door blend motor replaced... :(

·
Registered
95 sedan deville
113 Posts
any codes yet? I get a message on mine that says very low refrigerant/ ac cmpressor turned off.....mine goes in the shop tomorrow

·
Registered
2002 DeVille
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am having the exact same issue. First I was having the drivers side door blend motor ticking noise, which I have had repaired. But now the ac comes on when it wants, exactly how you described in your first post... Today it would not blow at all.. I pulled the codes and there are none. I can hear the compressor kick on, I even feel a very very faint breeze for about a minute if I put my hand over the vent.. How did you end up fixing yours? Anyone got any clues? I just paid $517 to get the darn door blend motor replaced... :(
I got the solution to ur problem my friend, it isn't very exotic or technical or anything, but if it is indeed the blower motor, simply knock or "Gently" bang on the area located directly underneath the glove box, actually a little toward the LEFT of the glove box if ur facing it. Couple taps does it for me every time!!! At least it'll buy me some time till I get some dough to fix the blower motor...

A caddy GM tech whos been my friend for many years now stepped right into my car when I brought it to him to check out and he immediately started bangin' on the aforementioned area and after 4 or 5 knocks BAM the blow starts-a-chrunin'!!!! What a life-saver!! I dont need to do this every single time I turn on my car, id say about 30-40% tops the blower won't come on so I gotta bang my princess to get her to blow me =) lol no pun intended...

hope this helps buddy... AC is a must especially here in 100 F weather in FLA..

·
Registered
03 DTS
303 Posts
I got the solution to ur problem my friend, it isn't very exotic or technical or anything, but if it is indeed the blower motor, simply knock or "Gently" bang on the area located directly underneath the glove box, actually a little toward the LEFT of the glove box if ur facing it. Couple taps does it for me every time!!! At least it'll buy me some time till I get some dough to fix the blower motor...

A caddy GM tech whos been my friend for many years now stepped right into my car when I brought it to him to check out and he immediately started bangin' on the aforementioned area and after 4 or 5 knocks BAM the blow starts-a-chrunin'!!!! What a life-saver!! I dont need to do this every single time I turn on my car, id say about 30-40% tops the blower won't come on so I gotta bang my princess to get her to blow me =) lol no pun intended...

hope this helps buddy... AC is a must especially here in 100 F weather in FLA..
I ended up take it to the dealership the other day and they comfirmed that it needed a new blower.. They charged me $544 to fix it... :( Please keep in mind that earlier this week I just fixed to B0249 Door Blend problem wich cost $517.. I am really upset about all these problem, and I would like this car to last me at least another 5 years. But at what cost? I don't know if I should try to keep it running or sell it? I posted a thead here on the forum ranting about my issues.. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-deville-1985-2005-including-1985/172616-2003-b0249-door-blend-problem-blower.html

1 - 20 of 20 Posts