Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2001 catera sport, 1998 seville sts
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know what might be wrong with my car??? It's been at the dealership for almost 3 weeks and they can't even figure it out.

Here's the scenario: it started out with me getting gas from a station and almost 2 days later my car started missfiring really bad, check engine light flashing. I was driving when this all happened and the car seemed like it was in limp home mode as I could barely get it home( was about 15miles from home). It felt like I was driving on 2 cylinders. Once home I smelled my exhaust which smelled like varnish... Immediately I thought bad gas. I tried fuel injector cleaners and dry gas.. They improved the condition somewhat but only mildly. I finally decided the following day to just let the car run for about 5 hours to get rid of the gas ( about 1/4 tank), bought a new fuel filterand replaced it. Took the gas sample from the old and there was definitely some sediment and moisture there as the gas was very cloudy. I then put in more gas treatment and more injector cleaner after filling up with a half tank once i managed to limp it to the nearby gas station (it would barely run). Once filled I got back on the road and the car seemed to be running considerably better since now I could acutally get it to accelerate freely without missing.

Once the tach would reach 4000rpm it would act as if I were hitting the rev limiter causing the car to buck violenty and preventing it from upshhifting until i would take my foot off the gas for a second. During that time frame the trans would then shift into the next gear and proceed to drive normally. I decided to try the sport mode and the problem would get considerably worse since normally in sport mode my car would rev freely to almost 6,000 rpm before shifting and would do it quite firmly never missing a beat or even remotely slipping. Anytime the trans would get ready to shift it would act as if i redlined it in park and buck violently until i let off the gas momentarily.

Hills also caused a problem as the trans would downshift and just seem to be in neutral until i let off the gas and then it would upshift again. If i kept my foot on the gas nothing would happen-tach would only go to 4000 rpm and no higher... no acceleration, would just slow down.
Out of frustration I finally brought it to the dealer and explained my case. They had the car for two weeks and finally decided that it was a driveabilty issue and not trans issue ( I insisted trans issue). It was determined the my mass airflow sensor and knock sensors were at fault ( even though there were no codes for either or no check engine light on my dash). I agreed to have them replaced. I was called and told car was ready as everything was fixed and car is working fine.

I eagerly picked up my vehicle later that day only to find once I pulled out (and a grand later) the lot and onto the highway that the car was exactly the same as before exhibiting the same symptoms. I drove right back to the dealership and told my advisor. He was totally surprised and could not believe that there was no change so I took him for a test drive. As soon as we pulled out and the car got ready to shift (upon moderate to heavy throttle, because it wouldn't do it with light throttle applications) the tach stopped at 4000rpm like I hit the rev limiter making the car buck violently until i momentarily got of the gas which then enable it to go into the next gear. He apologized and said they would get back on it right away.

Now I am definitely concerned as the next day my advisor called and stated that everyone is totally baffled and cannot figure out whats going on... I keep insisting a bad transmission and they think its computer related liked a faulty ECM or trans control unit. Has anyone ever heard off anything like this before??? Help!! I'm going on 3 weeks and no solution. Fuel pressure has also been checked and found to be ok.. Any thoughts??

·
Registered
Cadillac
19 Posts
sounds a lot like the trans control module. have it checked out for a shortage. this happened to me . and 300 bucks later it ran fine. just to let u know even a blinker short is able to short out the trans. as for me it was the brake lights.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info... i'll have the dealer check it out again...........

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke with the dealer today about the trans control module and they insist that it's ok. They told me that they had reprogrammed it and everthing was ok. Now they're telling me that backpressure tests on the catalytic converter are being performed. I would think that if I had a problem with the cats then those flimsy rubber hoses on the air pipes would have blown off already but that hasn't been the case. I'm pretty confused and quite frustrated right now. How is it that the dealer can't even figure out the problem with this car???:rant2::want:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealership called me back today and informed me that the converters passed the backpressure test and are ok. They've called into cadillac technical assistance. Tech support has no answers either. I keep insisting that they recheck the conrol module for the trans and they keep telling me that it's ok. I'm almost tempted to purchase a used one to try out. $60 more wouldn't really hurt me one way or the other. Keeping my car over 3 weeks at the dealer is.....

·
Registered
481 Posts
Your problem is not with your Cat, per se. Your problem is with your choice of dealers.

It takes a boatload of smarts and mega Cat repair experience to diagnose and fix a Cat. You need to try elsewhere.

Your dealer is using your Cat as a learning experience, as a training platform. You need a dealer that's graduated from school.:tisk:

Three weeks!:eek:

That's a joke.

·
Registered
97 Catera
31 Posts
<< agrees with gaurdian... three weeks and no fix?.. id find a new shop...unless they givin you free rental car..lols

·
Registered
481 Posts
<< agrees with gaurdian... three weeks and no fix?.. id find a new shop...unless they givin you free rental car..lols
Yes, OK. I didn't think of that. Seriously, if they have given you a (decent) car to use ignore my post. That would show professionalism, seriousness, and dedication to the task, and it would earn my respect.

But otherwise I'd be so outta there . . . . . . . . . . . . . :tisk:

·
Registered
46 Posts
This sounds like what is going on with my car. The mechanical part not the dealer problems. Does anybody know what would cause it to have problems at 4000 rpm? I've just replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump, fuel pump relay, and crank position sensor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Turns out the problem was my fuel tank and pump.. There was a broken baffle in the tank that was restricting fuel flow at times, especially on high demand. The pump was replaced and everything was fine afterwards, no thanks to my dealer. I insisted that there was a fuel problem and I was indeed correct.

·
Registered
Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport
1,840 Posts
Have the Multi Ram Induction checked. At 4000RPM the system is supposed to reconfigure the intake path from low engine speed to high engine speed. It might not be working properly and strangling the engine.

Elvin

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac Catera 2002 SEville STS
107 Posts
Your dealership doesn't know what is going on with and is just guessing. To me it sounds like the cats. If your handy, you can remove the exhaust from the manifolds to the mid section of the exhaust and see what happens. The check engine light will come on because of no O2 sensor readings but the car will run ( loud but it will run) and you will see what kind of RPM's it will do without the exhaust.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts