Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, would anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when attempting to identify rear shock malfunction? Symptoms are that the vehicle feels like it has no shock absorption in the rear over bumps, and the bumps now feel violent.

I have no codes. No dash messages. I do have a level rear end, that is very stiff and even from one side of car to other. The ELC pump runs. I do not know if I have magnetic control shocks. My id plate veh#: 1G6KY54911U163440. Maybe that would identify it?

Note: During my last brake job, I had noticed that one of the rear shock air lines had some chaffing.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
18,899 Posts
Hello, would anyone have any suggestions on what to look for when attempting to identify rear shock malfunction? Symptoms are that the vehicle feels like it has no shock absorption in the rear over bumps, and the bumps now feel violent.

I have no codes. No dash messages. I do have a level rear end, that is very stiff and even from one side of car to other. The ELC pump runs. I do not know if I have magnetic control shocks. My id plate veh#: 1G6KY54911U163440. Maybe that would identify it?

Note: During my last brake job, I had noticed that one of the rear shock air lines had some chaffing.
=========================
Magnaride - F55 - came out mid-year 2002 -
your 2001 STS came with the F45 - CVRSS - suspension -

for replacement shocks - you have TWO choices -
spend BIG BUCKS - $550 to $600 EACH for replacement units -

or spend $60 for the PAIR on non-electronic units -

================================

BUT WAIT -
I just stumbled on a REAL DEAL - unless it is a mis-print -

ROCKAUTO.COM has the genuine ACDELCO 580130 and ACDELCO 580131 listed for $99.79 each -
these are the original shocks that came on your STS -

you should get these TODAY!

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,139 Posts
That's the cheapest I've seen CVRSS shocks - ever. Looks like slow inventory blowout time. Pretty soon CVRSS and MRC struts/shocks fro the FWD Northstar Seville will be made of Unobtainium - like the same series Eldorado.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
=========================
Magnaride - F55 - came out mid-year 2002 -
your 2001 STS came with the F45 - CVRSS - suspension -

for replacement shocks - you have TWO choices -
spend BIG BUCKS - $550 to $600 EACH for replacement units -

or spend $60 for the PAIR on non-electronic units -

================================

BUT WAIT -
I just stumbled on a REAL DEAL - unless it is a mis-print -

ROCKAUTO.COM has the genuine ACDELCO 580130 and ACDELCO 580131 listed for $99.79 each -
these are the original shocks that came on your STS -

you should get these TODAY!
Basscat thanks so much for your feedback and the excellent find at RA. Question...what does the CVRSS stand for?

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
67,139 Posts
Your 2001 struts and shocks use actively sensed internal orifices that change size in response to changing road/driving conditions - instantly. Those orifice changes cause the suspension to be soft for normal highway driving and to go almost rock-hard under aggressive maneuvering conditions. The active suspension (STS, DTS, ETC) is constantly adjusted for over a dozen inputs, including roll, pitch, yaw, turn radius, desired turn radius, all 4 wheel speeds, engine power at that instant, transmission gear, speed, braking action, others.

The later (2002.5) STS MRC (Magnetic Ride Control) is even more sophisticated and quicker in response - .001 second. It uses magnetorheological fluid that changes from 5W hydraulic oil to thick jelly and back - instantly.

Now you have an idea as to why these suspension systems are so hideously expensive to maintain - IF you want to keep the original vehicle performance capabilities.

·
Registered
2001 Seville STS
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Long.
And thank you Submariner409 for being so nice to take the time to respond to not only myself, but to so many others here. Very kind, very informative and very articulate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts