Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
NONE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I was wondering if anyone has driven both and which they liked better. I love the 4.6 Northstar V8, but I also love the 3.8 s/c V6.

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Well considering this is Caddy forums im sure most of us will recommend the STS. Both are stunning cars but only one of them is a Caddy. While the Caddy may cost a little more to maintain, it rides like a dream, and rewards you everytime you turn the key. Also wasnt Pontiac dropped from GM's lineup? If im not mistaken its only Chevy, GMC, Buick, and Cadillac now. I personally thought they should have kept Pontiac but hey what do I know.

·
Registered
1998 Seville STS / 2013 Chevrolet Impala
1,889 Posts
They're about as fast as one another, but in ALL WAYS other then speed the STS is MUCH better then a GTP. The Pontiac has crappy interior, crappy weight distribution, smaller size, just an all around low to mediocre car.

Get the Cadillac.

·
Registered
1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2003 STS / 2006 XLR-V
11,694 Posts
If you can afford the maintenance, then buy the STS as it is the all around better car (ESPECIALLY one with the luxury performance package).

·
Registered
2000 Polo Green Metallic Cadillac STS 60K
787 Posts
Oh yeah I didnt read your post correctly I thought you typed GTO!! Heck yeah go with the Caddy!! That GTP couldnt touch a Caddy with a 10ft pole!

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
However, if you're looking for lower maintenance cost, a well-proven engine, and a very comfortable, yet competent ride... Then I'd highly recommend a Buick Regal GS of similar vintage. Mechanically speaking, they are near identical to the GTP, but offer a better and much more comfortable interior. I personally hate Pontiac's styling - exterior and especially interior-wise. The Regal GS is simply a more well-rounded car and is just a great car all around... I had one for several years.

Compared to an '01 STS... It's hard to say, as I have no clue what you're looking for exactly. With that said, if you are even considering a Supercharged W-Body, then you might as well check out a '00+ SLS... You might be pleasantly surprised. But if you're set on an STS, then you might as well take your time and find yourself a well-optioned late-'02-'03 model. With those in mind, there's really no contest versus an '01 model or any W-body and you'll thank yourself for it later.

·
Registered
NONE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
However, if you're looking for lower maintenance cost, a well-proven engine, and a very comfortable, yet competent ride... Then I'd highly recommend a Buick Regal GS of similar vintage. Mechanically speaking, they are near identical to the GTP, but offer a better and much more comfortable interior. I personally hate Pontiac's styling - exterior and especially interior-wise. The Regal GS is simply a more well-rounded car and is just a great car all around... I had one for several years.

Compared to an '01 STS... It's hard to say, as I have no clue what you're looking for exactly. With that said, if you are even considering a Supercharged W-Body, then you might as well check out a '00+ SLS... You might be pleasantly surprised. But if you're set on an STS, then you might as well take your time and find yourself a well-optioned late-'02-'03 model. With those in mind, there's really no contest versus an '01 model or any W-body and you'll thank yourself for it later.
Hey how come you say check out the sls doesn't that have less power than the sts?

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,510 Posts
Hey how come you say check out the sls doesn't that have less power than the sts?
Less power, better milage, more low end torque, lower gear ratio.

the sls and the sts are virtually neck and neck till about 50 mph.

If you plan on setting the cruise at 80 and driving around the country id probrably go sts though.

·
Registered
NONE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Less power, better milage, more low end torque, lower gear ratio.

the sls and the sts are virtually neck and neck till about 50 mph.

If you plan on setting the cruise at 80 and driving around the country id probrably go sts though.
Yea I want an sts because i want something that has good top speed along with good low end torque. With the sts it is like you get the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
'03 STS 122K, '01 STS 161K - 3/3/11
671 Posts
It is the SLS that has better low end torque.
That said, I would still much rather have the STS, totally different beast.

dynorun.jpg

·
Registered
2007 EXT Supercharged
1,510 Posts
Yea I want an sts because i want something that has good top speed along with good low end torque. With the sts it is like you get the best of both worlds.
you didnt understand that, the sls has the low end torque......thats why it keeps up with the sts.....its the extra power that gives the sts ability to keep up cause it has higher gears....which require more power for going, but higher top speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
we have a grand prix GT and GTP and STS. kids like the GP and i like the STS. I can feel the weight difference of course. tough call. GP is for sure lower build quality. I agree they are not really comparable. different class cars.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,104 Posts
Bassackwards...........the STS 3.71 final drive gives it the low end acceleration out of the hole, and ultimately limits top end speed because the engine theoretically reaches redline earlier in the speed curve. The 3.11 SLS gearing is more of a midrange torque and road gearing, which should give the SLS the top end advantage due to lower engine rpm vs. speed (which also results in a gain of 1.5 - 3 mpg), BUT both cars run into the frontal area drag problem and power runs out in the 150+ mph area. The torque difference of around 10 lb/ft down in the 2,000 - 3,000 rpm area is inconsequential, and there is practically NO hp difference there. Same idea as running a 4.11 rear in a street-strip car: hole shot. If you were a constant long distance driver, the SLS is the better choice, while a STS is better for the short run, road runner twisty driver. If you lay a ruler through the dyno graph, the LD8 is finished at about 5,000 rpm while the L37 holds on up to just over 6,000.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (BOSE w/AUX In, Massage Seats, URPAS, "Z")
6,405 Posts
Must be some kind of a joke, there is NO compare between a STS and a GTP.
300HP @ 6000 RPM vs. 240(or 260 later) HP @ 5200 RPM
295 @ 4400 RPM vs. 280 @ 3600 RPM
That and the rest of the car…interior, suspension, electronics, design…
Fuel consumption…is about the same. Even a Pontiac with a Northstar is still no Cadillac.

·
Registered
'03 STS (RIP), '89 Eldorado, '13 Malibu, '89 Grand Wagoneer
2,191 Posts
You didn't quite read/understand what I wrote either...

I said that if you're even considering, contemplating, thinking about, and/or toying with the idea of buying a W-body, then you should at least drive an SLS before making any final decisions.

First and foremost, let me make this clear... Whatever you do, you should never, ever make a final buying decision based on what you read and what a bunch of nutjobs tell you on the internet - especially all of us nutjobs on this site with all of our own personal biases.

Your final decision should be based upon two things only - what you can afford and what your ass tells you. As such, you can't possibly listen to your ass and make any sort of truly informed decision without spending time behind the actual wheel of the cars you're considering - nor can you immediately rule something out without doing so.

With that said... I'm going to let you in on a little secret, you're looking at a Cadillac Seville - not a Cadillac STS. As such, the Seville came in two flavors - the SLS and the STS. Again, based upon the fact that you're considering a W-body sedan, then there's very little reason why you shouldn't at least test drive an SLS.

Another reason is based on the years under consideration... If you were talking about a late 2002-03, Magneride-equipped Seville STS then that would be another story completely, but you're talking 2001. Being so, I've gone round after round with some folks and I still don't care - struts are struts... They both have them... In fact, all the one's we're talking about have them.

Bottom line is this... You can't immediately rule out any option without test driving them all. Top speed is irrelevant - you're rarely, if ever going to be traveling in triple-digit territory. Good low-end torque? Again - irrelevant... All the cars we're talking about make close to the same amount, with the SLS generating the most.

I realize that you probably just see certain numbers... As in - "Ooohh... That one has a bigger number, that means more... More power... Must have, must have now." Power isn't necessarily everything and the differences aren't as great as you're probably imagining. Plus there are other numbers to consider as well...

Again, while it mostly comes down to what feels good (which you'll never be able to tell without driving), it also comes down to money... I'm not sure about you're area, but around here there are many, many more well optioned, low mileage, well-maintained SLSs that are very decently priced than there are STSs. Being all of 18 years old, you'll also find the insurance premiums on an SLS will be a bit cheaper than the STS... Not to mention the fact that you'll probably get 1-2 more MPG as well.

So basically... Stop asking nutjobs on the interwebs about these cars and go out and drive them - all of them. Then get back to us with what you think about and/or bought.

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
If you can afford the Seville then by all means go for it! However, be prepared to pay expensive repair bills when the time comes. I bought my car exactly one year ago tomorrow and have spent close to $2500 on maintenance. Some things like oil changes, tires, brakes are normal but I'd say a good $1800 was on unexpected issues. Being a teenager here as well with a part time job, it can become expensive to own a car packed with this many features. I'm going to give you a list of common issues that are normal for Seville's of this era:

*The Crankshaft Position Sensors on these cars crap out constantly. GM used a bad supplier from 2000-2003 and they are usually toast by 60k miles. I just replaced mine at the tune of $268 installed. If they do go out, make sure that you get the updated ones from Japan. If one goes out, just go ahead and replace both. The other will fail eventually.
*These cars use a sophisticated suspension with electronic shocks and struts. If one of the shocks fails, you'll have to pay $500-$800 for ONE of them. Yes, just one. If they start going one by one, you can go aftermarket and they plug directly into the old system. No "Service XXX System" on the dash.
*Trunk's leak on pretty much every Seville i have ever come across. Now the fix is not the same on every car. Mine was the weatherstrip that goes around the trunk. Sometimes (rarely) it's the gasket, and sometimes is the rubber piece under the windshield. Just make sure you get it fixed ASAP if it becomes a problem, it can cause bad rust!
*Make sure your tie rods, ball joints, and CV joints are in good shape. They are a constant failure on these cars, and can cause annoying alignment problems.
*If the car came with heated seats and they are burned out, be prepared to spend $300 to get one fixed. The element usually burns out after awhile; there is a fix on the Cadillac forums that allows the owner to fix the old element, but I don't know much about it.
*The dreaded 60-75MPH vibration. If the car has the OEM Goodyears on it, good luck. They were terrible tires from the factory, which is probably why Cadillac now uses Michelin. First thing to do is get a Hunter Road Force Balance, which is usually $20 per tire. However, it does an amazing job and completely gets rid of the vibration 90% of the time. If that doesn't do the trick, then it could be anything. Bad tire, leaky wheels, suspension components, etc.
*The front, center motor mount is always crapping out on these cars. If you're car tends to clunk through the gears and when shifting out of park, it's time to replace the mount.
*And finally the biggest thing here, keep the coolant maintained!! While most people think the 2000+ Northstar is immune to headgasket/headbolt problems, they're wrong. They are now starting to fail as they get older. Mine were done in June '08 at 54k miles, so anything can go wrong. My rule of thumb will be to change the coolant every 2-3 years, even though GM says you can go 5. I would never do that, but thats me.

I also agree with Adam and think that a Seville SLS would be a another candidate to check out. Most people feel that the Seville STS is a "superior" vehicle because it has 25 more horsepower and some added features that make it a 10x better car. The '98-'01 Seville STS and SLS are extremely similar vehicles, except in the already mentioned horsepower and feature category. Exterior differences are the wheel design, rocker molding and grille. Having driven about 10 Seville SLS/STS models I can say the '98-'01 models do not have that much difference between them. If my car had been an SLS I would have purchased it. They are all Seville's. I do prefer the STS's perforated leather and body color grille/rocker moldings in the earliest models. The '02-'04 Seville SLS look just like the STS, save for the Xenon headlights and 17" sport package wheels.

Now the '02-'03 Seville STS with the MagneRide setup is a completely different beast.

·
Registered
NONE
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If you can afford the Seville then by all means go for it! However, be prepared to pay expensive repair bills when the time comes. I bought my car exactly one year ago tomorrow and have spent close to $2500 on maintenance. Some things like oil changes, tires, brakes are normal but I'd say a good $1800 was on unexpected issues. Being a teenager here as well with a part time job, it can become expensive to own a car packed with this many features. I'm going to give you a list of common issues that are normal for Seville's of this era:

*The Crankshaft Position Sensors on these cars crap out constantly. GM used a bad supplier from 2000-2003 and they are usually toast by 60k miles. I just replaced mine at the tune of $268 installed. If they do go out, make sure that you get the updated ones from Japan. If one goes out, just go ahead and replace both. The other will fail eventually.
*These cars use a sophisticated suspension with electronic shocks and struts. If one of the shocks fails, you'll have to pay $500-$800 for ONE of them. Yes, just one. If they start going one by one, you can go aftermarket and they plug directly into the old system. No "Service XXX System" on the dash.
*Trunk's leak on pretty much every Seville i have ever come across. Now the fix is not the same on every car. Mine was the weatherstrip that goes around the trunk. Sometimes (rarely) it's the gasket, and sometimes is the rubber piece under the windshield. Just make sure you get it fixed ASAP if it becomes a problem, it can cause bad rust!
*Make sure your tie rods, ball joints, and CV joints are in good shape. They are a constant failure on these cars, and can cause annoying alignment problems.
*If the car came with heated seats and they are burned out, be prepared to spend $300 to get one fixed. The element usually burns out after awhile; there is a fix on the Cadillac forums that allows the owner to fix the old element, but I don't know much about it.
*The dreaded 60-75MPH vibration. If the car has the OEM Goodyears on it, good luck. They were terrible tires from the factory, which is probably why Cadillac now uses Michelin. First thing to do is get a Hunter Road Force Balance, which is usually $20 per tire. However, it does an amazing job and completely gets rid of the vibration 90% of the time. If that doesn't do the trick, then it could be anything. Bad tire, leaky wheels, suspension components, etc.
*The front, center motor mount is always crapping out on these cars. If you're car tends to clunk through the gears and when shifting out of park, it's time to replace the mount.
*And finally the biggest thing here, keep the coolant maintained!! While most people think the 2000+ Northstar is immune to headgasket/headbolt problems, they're wrong. They are now starting to fail as they get older. Mine were done in June '08 at 54k miles, so anything can go wrong. My rule of thumb will be to change the coolant every 2-3 years, even though GM says you can go 5. I would never do that, but thats me.

I also agree with Adam and think that a Seville SLS would be a another candidate to check out. Most people feel that the Seville STS is a "superior" vehicle because it has 25 more horsepower and some added features that make it a 10x better car. The '98-'01 Seville STS and SLS are extremely similar vehicles, except in the already mentioned horsepower and feature category. Exterior differences are the wheel design, rocker molding and grille. Having driven about 10 Seville SLS/STS models I can say the '98-'01 models do not have that much difference between them. If my car had been an SLS I would have purchased it. They are all Seville's. I do prefer the STS's perforated leather and body color grille/rocker moldings in the earliest models. The '02-'04 Seville SLS look just like the STS, save for the Xenon headlights and 17" sport package wheels.

Now the '02-'03 Seville STS with the MagneRide setup is a completely different beast.
hey what's the magneride setup??

·
Registered
2016 Honda Accord LX. Previous: 2004 Deville, 2000 STS
3,718 Posts
http://delphi.com/manufacturers/auto/other/ride/magneride/

It's a suspension setup using a special fluid to adjust the rate of the shocks at a much faster rate than a conventional one. (It's much more than that, but I'm not extremely knowledgeable about it). It's a huge improvement over the old CVRSS setup of the '98-early '02 Seville STS models. If I had the cash I would get rid of my car and upgrade to the '03 model just for the suspension alone. What kind of budget are you on? I've seen plenty of nice '03 STS models in the $8k with less than 90k miles.

The suspension setup has been used on various Cadillac's, Corvette's, and even Ferrari's. It's a great system.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts