Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Deville
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've read the forums for awhile and unfortunately feel its time to make my first post:( I have a 2001 STS and it has around 68k on it. There has always been the 60-75 vibration, which never really bothered me much because that's a rare speed range for me. Recently though it has started to vibrate pretty badly at just about all speeds. Once I get to around 90 or so it gets a little better, but up until then it just gets worse. Its really bad when I have to apply the brakes at higher speeds and worse than normal when braking to come to a stop. There is also a strange noise coming from the driver's side front wheel area when going over bumps or when the car changes height like if someone gets out of the car, etc...For lack of a better explanation it sounds like a creaky spring mattress - you get the picture;p

I have had the car for around 7 months and love it except for these damn vibration issues. After reading the forums I almost wish I had made a different decision and dread taking it to a shop only to have it mis-diagnosed half a dozen times and spend several thousand dollars for nothing. I had it balanced and aligned not long after I got it in hopes of alleviating the usual vibration, but that just seemed to make it a little worse - but I could have dealt with that. this vibration at all speeds and violent vibration when braking however is a bit too much. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
35 Posts
two possible options on the vibration i would think:
1) tires are out of balance, and the car probably wouldn't hurt to have a alignment.
2) one or more of your wheel bearings is shot. I highly doubt this, but it can happen. usually, with a bad bearing, it's there at all speeds, not just at a certain range.

first things first, check your tire wear. Are they wearing evenly? are there any blisters on them? how old are they? if they look a little uneven wear front to back, or even on each tire wearing unevenly across the tire, you could use a alignment. check and see if all your wheel weights are still there.

Good luck man!

·
Registered
2001 Deville
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The tires all seem to have even wear and the weights are all there. I haven't tried the road force balance, but I was thinking that the springy noise had something to do with it since both started recently around the same time. It is definitely not just certain speeds, but at all speeds - even as low as 20 mph. It just gets a lot worse at higher speeds and especially when using the brakes.

·
Registered
1993 Eldorado ETC
47 Posts
What about the front end? Tie rods tight? Strut rod bushings? Ball joints? Is the rack loose altogether? The 60-70mph vibration was definatley the wheel balance. Now you can also check for separated tires...could have sepo'd recentley...but I don't think it'd make much noise.

·
Registered
2005 White Diamond STS N* 1SF RWD ACC/HUD
2,052 Posts
Hey Tim...I noticed in your ownership information you list a 1999 WS6...is that a Cadillac or the Trans Am? The reason I ask is I saw a listing on eBay for a 2001 Seville with the "WS6" package, and I have only heard that RPO code associated with the Pontiac Trans Am.

Charles

·
Registered
02 STS
1,262 Posts
The first thing I'd check is the tire pressure of the noisy wheel. My '02 vibrates worse the lower the tire pressure... If I pump my Bad year RSAs up to max pressure the vibration is gone...

Next I would look at the rim. The wheels on our Caddy's are none too strong and a bad encounter with a curb or pot hole will bend one just enough to create your problem. Try rotating the tire to see if the problem moves...

If it does you know its a wheel/tire... if it doesn't its brakes, bearings or suspension (probably in that order).

Good Luck!

·
Registered
NONE
1,339 Posts
On all my cars I have found that vibration that starts at around 65mph peaks at 75 and dissapears at 85+ has been down to wheel balancing.

On a side note, I noticed my STS wasn't "right" with regards ot ride, steering and damping.
My tyre pressures were 28psi on the right hand side, 22.5psi on the front left side (didn't look flat), and 26.5 at the rear left side.

Set them all to 28psi and it's back to refinement again.

·
Registered
161 Posts
gkeller81 said:
Hi all,

I've read the forums for awhile and unfortunately feel its time to make my first post:( I have a 2001 STS and it has around 68k on it. There has always been the 60-75 vibration, which never really bothered me much because that's a rare speed range for me. Recently though it has started to vibrate pretty badly at just about all speeds. Once I get to around 90 or so it gets a little better, but up until then it just gets worse. Its really bad when I have to apply the brakes at higher speeds and worse than normal when braking to come to a stop. There is also a strange noise coming from the driver's side front wheel area when going over bumps or when the car changes height like if someone gets out of the car, etc...For lack of a better explanation it sounds like a creaky spring mattress - you get the picture;p

I have had the car for around 7 months and love it except for these damn vibration issues. After reading the forums I almost wish I had made a different decision and dread taking it to a shop only to have it mis-diagnosed half a dozen times and spend several thousand dollars for nothing. I had it balanced and aligned not long after I got it in hopes of alleviating the usual vibration, but that just seemed to make it a little worse - but I could have dealt with that. this vibration at all speeds and violent vibration when braking however is a bit too much. Thanks in advance.
Yup - Hunter Road Force Balance for the vibration, without a doubt. If you still have vibration, I second the notion of a bent rim. The shop that does the road force balance can tell you if one or more wheels displays excessive runout, indicating a possile out-of-round rim or tire.

The strange noise can be a few different things. Your description is a little bit vague, but if I had to guess, you're probably dealing with a bad stabilizer bushing (not a big deal - easy fix), or possibly a noisy/ failing strut (big deal, big bucks unless you go passive). 70K is a little early for a strut to fail, so hopefully it's something cheap like a bushing.

Also, this noise you describe during driving/stopping - does it get worse when turning right or left? I ask because that could indicate a failing wheel bearing assembly. If the left front gets loud when turning to the right, then that would be a prime indicator of the left front bearing beginning its cycle of death. It would make sense to hear noise if this is the case during stopping as the front bearings load up during deacceleration. If this is the problem, the roaring sound will get louder with speed and get worse over time. Also, if you put the car on a lift, excessive left-right play in any wheel assembly could indicate a bad bearing.

A lot of doom and gloom, but I hope it works out for you...the strut is really the only high priced fix, and that's only if you stay with oem active struts.

·
Registered
2003 DeVille DTS
228 Posts
sjwoodruff said:
the strut is really the only high priced fix, and that's only if you stay with oem active struts.
Struts are damned expensive. About $700 installed.
What is required for diy? Would seem cheaper to buy a strut compressor, or whatever else is needed, to save maybe $400-$500 per wheel.
I don't mind getting dirty and aggravated for major savings like that, and the cost would be recovered it seems.
So, how hard is it, and how much for the tools, etc?

I'm at 86k, just had them inspected and I'm told they're OK, but I can see the future...and at 30k/year, it is fast approaching.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts