Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Seville SLS 140k miles
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:alchi: I have air ride problems that I beleive is caused by the exhaust valves in the compressor. Can this part be rebuilt, or must i replace it with a new one? Does anyone happen to have a detailed diagram of the compressor so I can try to fix it, or does anyone know where i can get one for less than $512 because thats what the dealer wants. Am i just better off buying a $300 conversion kit from strutmasters.com? what will be different about the conversion kit except that its much cheaper? Does that $307 kit include everything I need to have a functional rear suspension again? :alchi:

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,504 Posts
A couple of line drawings of the level ride compressor, up in the right rear wheel well, inside the plastic liner. Car up on rear jackstands. Afternoon's work, and it will still ride like a Cadillac. Any other shocks/replacements and all bets are off.

Look at www.rockauto.com, www.gmpartsdirect.com, www.gmotors.com, or call Luke in parts at Lindsay Cadillac, over there -------> M-F, 9-5 EDT.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So your saying the two conversion shocks and those resistors is all i would need? :) I sure hope so lol but i thought you said something about needing springs if i go with the conversion?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Be honest, you know my whole story with the rear being raised up, I ran the test you mentioned sub and neither the pump came on nor did the system exhaust. If you were in my position with limited funds, would you buy the compressor and hope thats the problem or would you just buy the kit from strutmasters and be done with it? Sorry to keep bothering you with the same old problem

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No codes related to suspension. Only one current code and i believe it was P0140, could be wrong but I know it was for the A.I.R. pump which is emissions. the only code ive ever seen with a C in front of it was ABS C1232 so im not sure what you mean when you say were looking for C codes

·
Registered
'98 STS (RIP @ 206,xxx miles)
4,854 Posts
DTCs have one of four possible prefixes;

B = Body

C = Chassis

P = Powertrain

U = Network

Codes related to suspension components would be "C" codes.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I found a used compressor at a junkyard and now im seeking how to get to it so I can replace it. Anyone have any ideas? I know where it is located by hearing it, but I dont know how to access it without screwing up my car

·
Administrator
69,504 Posts
For the A.I.R. compressor (secondary air compressor for cat lightoff) put the front up on jackstands and remove the LF wheel and tire and the plastic fenderwell liner. You may have to move the headlight assembly forward in order to replace the intake hose (the new pump models route the hose up inside the engine compartment by the air box to get away from water intrusion, which is what wrecks the pumps in the first place.......make a suitable mod......

For the ELC (Level Ride) compressor, jack up the rear and remove the RR wheel, tire, and fenderwell liner.

EDIT..... Something is amiss, too many compressors here. First we had level ride, now we have A.I.R., an entirely different thing altogether. Which compressor are you replacing, because there are two............

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry for the confusion SUB, this post is about replacing the ELC compressor for the air suspension.. So back to business....you had mentioned you believed the exhaust vavles in my current compressor were not operating correctly thus leaving my rear end up the air all of the time like my orignal thread "01 sls air ride problems" stated. So I got this compressor that looks exactly like the picture on the right ogf the 2 pictures you showed above. Looks fairly simple to hook up, i guess i just put my lines on where the old ones are already located and then plug in the 4 prong connector thats coming from it? I did not closely examine the used compressor yet so I have to ask...do all the air lines go into the same place or is there multiple locations? If there are multiple locations, which lines go where? and once everything is hooked up will the problem fix itself instantly or do I need to perform some type of reset? Thanks so much for sticking with me on this problem SUB.

·
Administrator
69,504 Posts
If the compressor assemblies are identical and the intake and discharge hose connects are the same, hook it all up and you should be good to go. There is a control arm which goes from the sensor itself to the rear suspension control arm, and that must be hooked up also.......that's the widget that tells the compressor assembly "Up, Down, Quiet".

If you can, disconnect the shock air tubes and blow them dry from the compressor connection end. Any brown snot in those lines is sure death to the shocks and air boots.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I will do that, but with the compressor cycling at each start of the car, wouldnt the snot already be in the shocks?

·
Administrator
69,504 Posts
IF the filter/dryer (part of the compressor assembly) is so full of moisture, yes, the snot will blow by. You might have "got lucky". The line blow is a mere precaution, if available..........just make sure that the compressor intake line is up in the trunk over the fenderwell area and that will take care of 99% of the problem.........same fix as the front A.I.R. compressor.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One more thing SUB, I have faith in you lol but do you truely believe the problem is the exhaust in the compressor? Id just hate to remove my stock compressor to find that maybe a height sensor is to blame. Just leave me your thoughts because Im ready to go to work on this tommorrow. THANKS AGAIN ;)

The reason I ask is because I have read some articles online that state if when you add the 300lbs and the pimp doesnt kick on, that your problem is the sensor...but you havent been wrong yet so im taking your word for it

·
Administrator
69,504 Posts
...............only way to check is to "fool" the compressor.......jack up the car, pull the RR wheel and disconnect the sensor connector link. Manually move the sensor arm up......the pump should come on. Move the arm down. The exhaust valve should open and bleed off the shock boots. (Sort of a manual try at the "people on the trunk lip" of earlier........)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well SUB i never thought i would be saying this but I think the problem has been resolved. The new compressor is hooked up and for the moment the car is sitting normal i believe :) I had friends get into the trunk and the car raised and then when they got out the car lowered and I heard the air exhausting so I think im good. I just hope it stays down. does it appear to be sitting correctly, some say it looks a tiny high in the rear?

Attachments

·
Administrator
69,504 Posts
Absolutely, dead nuts perfect. The 01 - 02 - 03 Sevilles carry a slight rake. Look at our rear fenderwell opening in our pics.

Glad you solved the problem. Fun, ain't it ??? Have a big Scotch & water....:sneaky:

BTW..................Nice ride.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
SUB, you are the man! I just wanted to say thanks because you stuck around and helped me resolve my problem. You sure know your stuff haha where did you get all of that knowledge when it comes to these beasts? just thought I'd throw this out there but the only color seville that makes me jealous is that sexy red you got there ;) crimson pearl? I really wanted that color but couldnt find one for the right price.

·
Registered
1997 ETC (GAVE TO STEPSON 2011), 2000 DTS (RIP)
1,702 Posts
Sub - BTW, what Scotch do you prefer? My favorite drink is a Dewars and soda- Mmmm delicious!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts