Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac 2001 SLS
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 01 SLS door hinges make very loud and creaking noises. The hinges look like they are incased, how can I try to elimate this noise? Does anyone else have it and what have you tried? My friend had a 00 STS with the same problem and never fixed it. THanks

·
Registered
'99 SLS
83 Posts
I'd like to hear some feedback on this as well, I have a 99 SLS and the hinges are so loud! I sprayed white lithium all over the hinges and the plastic slider thing, it didn't help much.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Try to pinpoint the exact location.

My bet is that it is the hinge that actually holds the door open right in the middle. I can't remember the exact name, but its something along the lines of door return hinge and they are a cheap part and fairly easy to replace.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda3 S GT Hatchback 2013 Kia Optima SXL
2,817 Posts
The creaking is not coming from the hinges. It is the "door check". That is the black rod thingy that is between the two door hinges. You can grease them until you are blue in the face, you will not cure the issue. You need to replace it. Part #25696651 is for the front doors.

Don

·
Registered
873 Posts
The creaking is not coming from the hinges. It is the "door check". That is the black rod thingy that is between the two door hinges. You can grease them until you are blue in the face, you will not cure the issue. You need to replace it. Part #25696651 is for the front doors.

Don
Thats exactly what I was trying to explain, but I couldn't recall the name. I had to replace a couple of them on my Escalade. They are painless to replace.

·
Registered
Cadillac 2001 SLS
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anyone remember where they ordered from and about how much they are each? Thanks

·
Registered
Cadillac 2001 SLS
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the input and websites guys, I ordered them from partsonline and paid $62 with shipping. They look pretty easy to put in, anyone ever do them and are there any little tricks I should know? Thanks again

·
Registered
98 Deville, '15 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium, '12 Ford Escape
3,294 Posts
Thanks for the input and websites guys, I ordered them from partsonline and paid $62 with shipping. They look pretty easy to put in, anyone ever do them and are there any little tricks I should know? Thanks again
Yes, as Dadillac stated its the door check that our ordered. There is also a post by Dadillac regarding how to properly remove the door lining behind the Door Panel.

There are white fasteners with a little button on them. Push the button IN about 3/16" and then they will come out.

I have replaced two of my door check straps and and have one spare right now. On one of my doors the creaking/squeaking is caused by the weather stripping around the door rubbing up against the body of the car...any ideas for how to fix that??? (this is why i have a left over door check. I ordered them for all 4 doors and only three needed it)

EDIT: I thought I had a picture! Here are the white fasteners:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts