Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a 2001 Seville SLS with the Northstar engine with 72k miles. I am using Pennsoil 10w/30 oil. It is using 2 qts of oil in 2k miles. This has begun only recently. I did change the PCV but no change in oil consumption. What could cause this sudden thirst for oil? BTW there are no visible external oil leaks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Hello...
What is your car's history of oil consumption?
While 2 quarts in 2k miles may seem high in your experience,
it is normal, but not overly excessive for this engine.
(High- when compared to other engines, but not excessive for the N*)

Run a search on this fourm about oil consumption...
It's all nicely explained.

Post back what you discover.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Hello Jim ... many on this forum recommend doing a wide open throttle (WOT) excercise about once a week, and this will reduce oil consumption on N* engines. This consists of putting the transmission in second and accelerating to around 70 holding it in 2nd. Then let off the gas and coast down to around 50-55. Aceelerate again up to around 70. Repeat this about 3 or 4 times. This removes carbon build up which can cause oil consumption in a N* engine. These engines were designed to run hard, and I can personally vouch for that. I've taken 500 mile trips averaging 80 to 85 mph (running 90 mph most of the time) with no problems at all. The engine runs smooth and strong in this range. Most folks keep them around 2000 rpm which results in carbon build up thus leading to oil consumption. Try the WOT technique and see if it helps.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
687 Posts
Also just wanted to add with WOT. When the car finally shifts into 3rd and you lef off the gas and coast back to 50-55 your actually re-seating the piston rings. Thats what will help with oil comsumption.

MacK

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
The WOT treatment is done in 2nd gear!!!

Put shifter in 2nd and leave it there, go from 50-70 and 70-50 about twelve times at WOT and the decel with no gas is what reseats the rings. Shifting into 3rd would defeat the purpose.

The engine needs pressure both on the gas AND off the gas to do the procedure correctly.

Hope that helps everyone out.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Oh, and ive had problems with engines buring more Pennzoil before.

Try switching brands.

I use havloine or quaker state or mobil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts