Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1995 eldorado/2001 eldorado/1995 seville sts
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 Eldorado ETC with 150,000 miles on it no problems yet- can I replace the motor with a newer 05 northstar vin y? Newer has only 17,000 miles and good price so is this possible?

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
I have an 01 Eldorado ETC with 150,000 miles on it no problems yet- can I replace the motor with a newer 05 northstar vin y? Newer has only 17,000 miles and good price so is this possible?
---------------------
the really short answer is NO - your ETC has a VIN "9" motor -

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,506 Posts
I'll post a bigger NO !

Too many differences in electrical, electronic, mechanical, nuts, bolts, mounts, yadda yadda to pull off the swap. As well as an incompatible engine controls/transmission match.

·
Registered
1997 Cadillac STS (Diamond White on Medici Red, Z-rated)
103 Posts
Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something. It is possible, but would require an incredible amount of design and labour on your part. All the incompatibilities listed above, plus a plethora of other issues would all have to be worked out. Think about say dropping a Toyota engine into a Nissan, you're pretty much in the same situation, almost EVERYTHING needs to be altered/custom made.

To simplify what everyone has said above, the newer Northstar engines cannot simply be dropped into older cars and have everything working.

Sorry if I'm a bit biased here guys, but I really wanna see someone swap a newer Northstar in one of these older cars.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
68,506 Posts
There are Northstar swaps done to a LOT of cars - witness the CHRFAB rebuilds for kit cars and sand rails. BUT - the original question concerned dropping a 2005 Northstar into an 01 ETC and it still warrants a NO ! due to the extreme differences in engines, wiring, and engine/transmission controls. A 2005 VIN Y Northstar is nowhere near like a 2001 VIN 9 Northstar.

.......and remember - his VIN 9 engine/transmission has very different control systems and a small horsepower difference from the VIN Y package.

The OP did NOT qualify the question with "I want to do this and money is no object". He wants to lay in a spare engine for the IF's in life....... and in this case it won't work.

·
Master of the Dark Art of Diagnostics
2003 DHS - two-2002 DHS, 2003 SLS, 1995 Sedan DeVille, 1989 Coupe DeVille
19,286 Posts
Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something. It is possible, but would require an incredible amount of design and labour on your part. All the incompatibilities listed above, plus a plethora of other issues would all have to be worked out. Think about say dropping a Toyota engine into a Nissan, you're pretty much in the same situation, almost EVERYTHING needs to be altered/custom made.

To simplify what everyone has said above, the newer Northstar engines cannot simply be dropped into older cars and have everything working.

Sorry if I'm a bit biased here guys, but I really wanna see someone swap a newer Northstar in one of these older cars.
------------------------------
To simplify what everyone has said above,
the newer Northstar engines cannot simply be dropped into older cars
and have everything working.

or to "simplify" all that - NO -
just like stated in posts #2 - #3 - and #4 - and #6

1 - 7 of 7 Posts