Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2001 ECS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just purchased a 2001 ESC / 101k this Monday. After I got it home, I showed my wife/son and I went to start it and nothing. All the lights and everything light up on dash but turn the key and nothing...including no codes whatsoever. To clarify: turn key in "on" position and everything lights up, but when I turn key to Start, the lights go out...all except bottom right "service engine". Again., no codes at all in either position.Tried a couple more times, nothing. Within maybe 3-5 minutes I turned key again it finally started. Checked INFO and Battery reads 12.4 and is also new. Connections are tight. Again, no codes come up at all.
Took it to work Tuesday starting it up in the morning and when I went home w no issues. Started it up Wed morning for work and no issues. Go to leave work Wed afternoon and nothing. Same deal as Monday...turn key and nothing; dash lights up showing everything is working, battery at 12.4V and still nothing. I waited and tried again, nothing. Did this for an hour and finally I took shop truck home.
This morning I grabbed the extra set of keys seller gave me. Got here at work and tried them and still nothing.
Manual describes the ignition keys possibly being dirty etc, but I wipe the chip on both sets with soft cloth as instructed but still nothing. What's funny is there are no codes showing at all, so this tells me it's not the key chips otherwise it would show a code/s?
What am I missing here? I need to get this resolved as I hate to leave the car out in this parking lot overnight alone again. I can't even push it into the shop to be safe.
thnx for any help/suggestions
sambo
Southern, NH

·
Registered
'98 Seville STS (gone); 2001 STS
155 Posts
Fuse block under the hood - try swapping your starter relay with something less important (AC, headlight, etc) and see if there's any change.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
70,391 Posts
Codes won't just "show" in the DIC message strip. You need to manually enter the code scanner by using the HVAC controls. The sticky thread "How to pull codes".

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,306 Posts
Try wiggling the gear selector while attempting to start. That would rule out the neutral safety switch.

·
Registered
2001 ECS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Fuse block under the hood - try swapping your starter relay with something less important (AC, headlight, etc) and see if there's any change.
Did that and nothing changed. I think it was the Air Suspension Relay that is the same that I swapped it out with. Friend did feel the Relay click in when I went to turn key...

Codes won't just "show" in the DIC message strip. You need to manually enter the code scanner by using the HVAC controls. The sticky thread "How to pull codes".
Ok, I will try this.

Try wiggling the gear selector while attempting to start. That would rule out the neutral safety switch.
I did this quite a few times, nothing. Thank u!

Ok, I will try this.
is this an OB1 or OB2 connector for the 2001? My friend has a scanner and is asking...

I will try next a Ground off of battery Ground to Ground on vehicle....
Also, my friend brought over Scanner Tool and we'll also go from there. I will post what I've found, etc. thnx!

Nothing when I went Ground to Ground.
Hooked up Scanner Tool and got P0340 (?). Crank/Camshaft Sensor? Checked Youtube and cannot find location on these as I was going to check wire connection/s and or clean, etc. I need to locate first...ugh. Can anyone tell me where theyy are located or if u can find video for 2001 please... thnx!

·
Registered
2014 ELR
230 Posts
The crank/camshaft sensor codes would not cause a no crank.
Check all battery cables to make sure they are clean and tight. Check starter cable. Check connections at starter.
It could be a starter solenoid or a bad starter.
That would be my guess.

·
Administrator
70,391 Posts
CMP (CaMshaft Position sensor)(only one fitted) is in the front (passenger end) of the right bank (rear) cam cover at 6 o'clock in front of the exhaust cam sprocket.

CKPs (CranKshaft Position sensors) are down low on the left (front side of the block.

Neither will cause a no-crank situation.

Bookmark this ...........

CMP-VSS-B1S1 locator.gif
CKP-Oil pressure and level.jpg

·
Registered
2001 ECS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Understood (on the Crank' replies). I just cannot seem to locate where the Starter is. I saw a video on showing it's under the Intake (?).
I'm all up on learning and trying things. I just need direction and I can do on my own.
Funny, because I did some homework on the NorthS. and it said to stay away from the 1996/97-99's. So, I came across this mint 2001 Eldorado that I purchased this past Monday night. Drove it home no issues. Took it to work Tuesday morning no issues and then after work to go home she just wouldn't crank....ugh.

·
Administrator
70,391 Posts
Starter on a Northstar is in the valley - under the intake manifold. The manifold is dry (no coolant involved) and takes maybe 20 minutes to remove.

Special fuel line quick-connect removal tool, NAPA. Injector electrical connectors have special double safety locks.

Replace the plenum and clean the throttlebody while you're in there.

Subscribe the car to the correct model/year GM/Cadillac service manual at www.alldatadiy.com - you'll need it at least three times a week.

Intake manifold bolt torque is 7.5 lb/ft - DO NOT get carried away and (easily) crack the manifold or bolt bosses.

Here's the 2000 - 2004 Northstar intake manifold -

Starter & Knock Sensor.jpg
Intake manifold lifted.gif
Intake-2000+.JPG
Intake-PCV end.JPG
Intake-plenum end.JPG
Intake-plenum.JPG

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,850 Posts
Quick check of the starter is to energize it with 12 volts.
On the right rear of the engine is a two pin connector snaking out of below the intake manifold.
Disconnect that connector and apply 12 volts to the purple wire.
Engine should crank.

·
Registered
2001 ECS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
All......I have contacted the Seller last Friday and he told me: "my friend has a NS and he too had the same issue; said it was his Starter; there is a small access hole on the intake and you need to tap the solenoid/starter with it with a bar of some sort like a 1/2" drive extension and that should work".
At this point it sounds like all this is steering towards the Starter. The car is still at shop and I will contact my mechanic this morning. I'm Not going to tell him his job, but he is diagnosing it and it's costing me $ when I can politely let him know what the seller told me and go from there. IF it is the starter I May have him replace it at this point.
Someone mentioned above putting 12v to it (Starter). Right now I cannot do this as the car is in the shop and they closed at 5 this past Friday.
I'm reading everyone's comments this morning as I did not over the wkend and I appreciate everyone's feedback, etc.
I will post what has been found on here later at some point so Others can get feedback on my end.
thnx for everyone's time on this. To be continued...
d`

·
Registered
2001 ECS
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
UPDATE: Mechanic did call me back this morning and informed me he did in fact already tap on Starter last Friday and the car did start. He actually did this a few times already as the car would not start until Starter was hit. He already ordered a Starter Saturday and said it should be in today. I'm hoping I get the Eldorado back tonight/tomorrow, and I May have to make payments to him after this bill...ugh.
I'll post outcome and how she runs after all later this wk folks!
thnx again for the assistance.
d`

1 - 13 of 13 Posts