Cadillac Owners Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2001 El Dorado
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The radio is fixed; it was a bad Radio Interface Module. I went to Cadillac King in Pacoima and picked up a new one this afternoon, installed it, and found that everything works perfect; both the tape player and CD player work flawlessly. Thanks for the help, particularly N*

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
WOW. That's great to hear. Glad you got it fixed. Yet, what causes those things to go bad in the first place?

·
Registered
2001 El Dorado
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
WOW. That's great to hear. Glad you got it fixed. Yet, what causes those things to go bad in the first place?
That's what's giving me a bad feeling in my stomach; I have no idea. I'm going to open my old one up and see if I can find the fault. I'll post my results here.

·
Registered
98 eldo/KD54 w/N37,T96,QA1,D55,DS3,U1Z. U3R next
2,125 Posts
So Wing, you opened up the unit and found the faulty part?! Can you post a picture of it please so I know what to look for. I can possibly get the part at an electronics store. I hope mine never goes out.....

·
Registered
2013 CTS Luxury, 1998 Eldorado ETC Crimson Pearl
614 Posts
I've been experiencing an intermittent problem with my radio where every so often there's no sound as described in this thread from 2010.

Has anyone else see this problem with their car and found it to be the RIM module?

I can troubleshoot anything but like with any problem, it has to be occurring consistently.
I'm just wondering if there's anything else I can check now in addition to the ground connections described in this thread.
My system is a factory BOSE with the CD changer.

·
Registered
2001 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
913 Posts
Every once in a while I will start my 2001 Eldo ETC after it has been sitting for a few weeks (with a battery tender attached) and no radio sound. after I drive it a while, like to a car show and restart all is well. Factory BOSE with CD changer (modified for Sirius/XM ). This has been going on for a number of years.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,832 Posts
What is this Radio Interface Module you speak about? Bose amp?

·
Registered
614 Posts
From what I read in this thread, it's a module that interfaces the radio to the amps and is mounted behind the back set.
It looks like it was the cause of Wingman77's problem.
N*Caddy provided some good information including tips on what to check.

I was just asking if anyone else had intermittent problems and fixed it.
It doesn't happen all the time.. I too keep mine on a tender when not driving it but this occurred when I was driving it daily over a 2 week period.
Like anything else, I'll probably have to wait until it's occurring consistently and then troubleshoot.

·
Registered
2001 eldorado,2008 DTS,2005 XLR, '96 eldo,'95 eldo,' 89 eldo,'78 eldo,'11CTS-V
1,832 Posts
If I remember the Bose system, you have a head unit in the dash, and the amp (one) behind the back seat, plus the speakers, that's it.
What's to 'interface'?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I'm not sure about the amp behind the back seat but the head unit and the individual amps on each speaker is correct. I think the RIM module helps interface between them.

·
Registered
1998 Eldorado ETC
1 Posts
If the radio works (as in has display, responds to all commands) but no sound then:
1. I would check the 30A AMP fuse (trunk fuse cluster)
2. I would check the two BOSE relays if functional (trunk relay cluster)
3. I would check G400 and G401 grounds, the two ground connections found directly under the rear seat (one left one right).
4. I would check the RIM if receives power on pin B1 (C2 connector) – it should as is sharing the same fuse with the HU the 10A Radio/Phone Fuse (trunk fuse cluster)
5. Check the RIM pin D2 on C2 connector if it has power (is the relays command or AMP on).
6. I would check the codes looking for U and IRC codes mainly.
7. It will be a good idea if a CD changer will be present, you can test if it works on CD changer, if it does then the RIM is good, it doesn’t then chances are the HU is good but there is a issue with the RIM/Amplifiers (refer to 1 to 5 above).

I know you mentioned the fuses were checked but make triple sure the AMP fuse is good and in place (and actually measure to see it has power on both ends). Then disconnect one of the wires connected the rear shelf mounted speakers (the easiest accessible) and measure if you have battery power between the BK and the OG wires while the stereo should work. If no power then go after the BOSE relays/RIM.
If power present then go after the audio wires between HU and RIM. By the way you can tell if the speakers are on by simply putting your ear near the speaker and listen for a faint fsss.
You can disconnect at will the HU, nothing will happen as long as you install it in the same car (if different car you need to clear the VIN first).

Here is the part where you should concentrate first:

For even more information refer to my thread.
Good troubleshooting guide, thanks, however I believe item 4 should be pin B1 (C1 connector)? At least in my 1998 Eldorado ETC.

My HU seemed to operate properly but no sound or 12v at any speaker. I had 12v from the RIM going to the relays (pin D2 on C2 connector) but relays didn't engage (hard to believe they both went out at same time). After tracing down the relay's ground I found a chewed through ground wire on R/H side near rear floorwell. Couldn't have done it wihout the shop manual wiring diagrams, worth the $50 buying a used set on eBay.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts