Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
So I'm getting ready to change the valve cover gaskets on an 01 DTS. I have read the posts about being able to do this without dropping the cradle, but it looked to be a make the right face situation for it to work. A couple months back I had all the bolts out of the valve cover but was unable to get the thing out. It looked like another 1-2" of clearance and it would have came right out.
My question is........has anyone tried to loosen the rear subframe bolts to get a little extra clearance?

All input is greatly appreciated

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,185 Posts
Re: 01 Deville DTS Rear Valve Cover

Pretty sure that's the only way to do it.

·
Registered
2001 Deville DTS
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 01 Deville DTS Rear Valve Cover

Thanks Ranger. do you know the length of the rear cradle bolts?

I haven't posted much but been coming here for years. I have learned most of what I know about N*'s from you and 1 or 2 of the other guys who regularly offer knowledge here. I cannot stress enough how valuable the knowledge y'all have passed on has been!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
White Diamond '03 DHS (with DTS floor shift)
87,185 Posts
Sorry, but I have no clue. Someone else may know and chime in.

You could also try the engine tilt method, but not having torque struts to replace with a turnbuckle, you'd have to do some fabrication. Lowering the cradle might be easier in the long run.

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
69,854 Posts
Some members have used lengths of metric threaded allthread rod, nuts and washers to make "long adjustable" cradle bolts to do just what you're attempting.

Pull a bolt, screw in the allthread, run a washer and nut up to the cookie, continue ................. slack off as necessary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts