Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem's with this car continues. My trunk, license plate lights, and trunk release stopped working. I pulled apart the panel's and found a wire bundle near the right trunk hinge, started moving it around then the lights started working. So there must be a short in one of the wires causing the lights to flicker on and off. Has anyone delt with this before? I know by the wiring diagrams that the trunk release and trunk light are in series with each other.

Thanks,

Mike

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,016 Posts
Fairly common problem. The wiring bundles run in the hinge tracks, covered by (in some models) a plastic sight cover. The wires tend to break at the hinge-to-body area and there's also a body ground attached to one or both fenderwells that loses good connection.

You need to do some VOM wire tracing. Butt splice kit.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,

I found the broken ground wire, repaired. Now my trunk light and trunk release works. I still have the problem with the Plate lights. They are on but dim. I noticed my right rear door courtesy light is inop. The others work so its not the fuse or bulb (checked). Could this be another ground wire effecting both lights? In the same area?

Mike

·
Administrator
71,016 Posts
The tag lights are in the same general harness with the rest of the trunk lid electrics. Don't know about the rear courtesy lights, but those umbilical cords from the door to the harnesses go lots of different places.......

If your tag light and parking light bulbs look like these, replace them. This set came out of the trunk lid and rear body sockets on my STS a couple of weeks ago, 7 years old and dim. Only one out, a left brake light filament. The bulbs in the upper group are the tag and parking lights, so they run all the time the lights are turned on; the lower 4 are the backup and brake bulbs, so they get intermittent use, but the bright filaments are the ones that go. Replaced them all. You might find that you'll also need two #1157 (old style bayonet base) bulbs. Go figure.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info.. I work in D.C. and live outside of Pittsbugh so I won't see the car until Friday. I'll replace the bulbs and see what happens. My car has 120,000 miles on it with the same bulbs. So I'll take your advice. I have no voltage to the courtesy light, so it could be another ground. I appreciate all the help!

Mike

P.S. I work nights so forgive me for the late responses.

·
Administrator
71,016 Posts
:sneaky:..................Late responses???? Some of our greatest work is done over a glass of Bourbon at 3 AM.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New bulbs were the answer. P/N P135. I was getting 11.83 volts to the bulbs. Still no fix on the courtesy light. I'm debating on removing the door liner. I'm not sure if it's worth the hassle.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts