Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to get your input on this. Normal temp. the needle would be at 12 oclock position. If it's a hot day or if I'm running up steep interstate hills the needle will move to the 1-2 oclock postion. It will return to the 12 oclock postion shortly after. When I open the hood the engine seems to be hotter than normal. What I would like to know is this normal for the northstar? The temp is in the normal range but I get concerned on long trips, like leaving tomorrow for Myrtle Beach, SC. Any info would be helpful.

Mike

·
Administrator
2002.5 F55 CORSA STS, 2014 Explorer XLT FWD
71,012 Posts
BEFORE you start, with the engine cold, is the coolant at halfway up in the surge tank ? If so, OK, if not, fill to halfway up......no more. (Are you losing coolant - do you have to add any coolant more than once a year ?)

Start the engine, open the hood, and enter some HVAC function which calls for A/C. Both fans should run in slow and the gauge should stay at 12:00. Turn the A/C function off - the fans stop - let the car idle - when the gauge gets to about 1:00 the fans should again come on in slow (224 degrees) and turn off at about 210. They don't go to fast until 235 degrees.

If the fan(s) don't run, there are 2 30A Maxi fuses in the engine compartment fuse box. Check them. Also 3 fan relays, 2 power and 1 series/parallel, which determine fan speeds.

It won't help now, but take a look at www.scangauge.com. I watch ignition timing, throttle opening, coolant temp, and intake air temp.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts