Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Deville
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My neighbor is a used car dealer and he has a habit of leaving his work bag in the car he drives. The other night some punks went around the neighborhood
looking for cars that were unlocked. His was (1 of 8 on our street) and they took his 3 iPhone 3g's that he used for posting ads of his cars and the
keys for the 01 Deville he has. He got everything else back.

To get the key is about $30 from the dealer, but to reprogram the transponder is 1 hour labor (according to Cadillac).

To save some money, will these instructions work?
I got them from this site...
http://programautokeys.com/classified/DisplayAd.asp?id=213

1. Insert new key into ignition cylinder and turn it to the ON position.
(As far as you can go without cranking engine)
The security light on the dash will illuminate and stay on for ten minutes.
When the security light goes out, you have one minute to start the next step.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back to the ON position.
The security light on the dash will illuminate and stay on for ten more minutes.
When the security light goes out, you have one minute to start the next step.
3. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back to the ON position.
The security light on the dash will illuminate and stay on for ten more minutes.

4. After the security light has gone off for the third time, turn key off and remove
from ignition. The key is now programmed and all other keys have been erased.

5. Insert key and start vehicle to test key.
Also, if I take one of the door cylinders out, can I get the key cut from that?

Many Thanks,
Ian

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,556 Posts
I think that procedure is in the owners manual, but is for programming and "additional" key, thus you need the original. Think about it, if you could program a key without the original, anyone could do it so why bother with keys in the first place? That said, even if you could cut a new key from the the lock cylinder (and I don't think you can), it wouldn't help. I think he has to bite teh bullet and take it to a dealer. Lesson learned.

·
Registered
2001 Deville
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, my neighbour went to a Caddy dealer and got a key cut, it wouldn't open the door or trunk. He went to a different dealer and that key works perfectly.

Today we tried tp program the key with these instructions...
http://programautokeys.com/classified/DisplayAd.asp?id=213

Lo and behold, it worked. The car tries to start, but it's been sitting too long and it just clicks, even with a booster pack on it. The battery is now charging and will try again tomorrow.

Ian

·
Registered
1991 devill
116 Posts
when my key less went bad I got the 100 dollar apiece bid also so I stuck a after market alarm on with 2 key pads was only $150 and new keys are only 20 bucks a piece

·
Super Moderator
2010 DTS
87,556 Posts
The car tries to start, but it's been sitting too long and it just clicks, even with a booster pack on it. The battery is now charging and will try again tomorrow.

Ian
If it still only clicks tomorrow, it probably has a dead cell. Confirm it by taking the battery out of the equation and either swap in a known good battery or jump it directly to the (disconnected) cables.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts