Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between the 180 deg and 198 deg thermostat? Which is better for the car?

Thanks.

·
Registered
199 Posts
198 degree thermo keeps the engine temp @ 198 +/- a few degrees, and 180 does the same.. If you live in a warmer climate, do alot of highway driving, hauling/towing I would suggest sticking to 180, If you live in colder climates then 198 would be better but, I live in Mass, and 198 is too hot for the humid hot days that we get up here and the cooling system has a tough time keeping the engine cool with the A/C on, and it also thins out the oil too much when it gets too hot and causes the low oil pressure light to come on. In the winter it's a different story, the 198 thermo is perfectly fine for the winter months here.. It's hit or miss

·
Registered
Cadillac
1,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this infomation. We live in Oklahoma and the temperature has been 95-100 for the past few days. The catera's oil pressure has dropped, but no warning lights or check engine is showing up. Anyways I'm going to go for the 198 thermostat for now. The temp gauge occasionally goes all the way to red zone, not sure if the thermostat gets stuck or something else is happening.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts