Cadillac Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Cadillac
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having trouble with my rear suspension for a while. The leveling flashes, it used to only flash when someone was sitting in the rear now it flashes continuously.
I had a leak in the air line, I fixed it but the light still flashed.

So now I notice that the drivers side rear is sagging lower then the right, so I am guessing that the airbag in the shock is blown or leaking.

What have you used for replacement shocks? Or where would you suggest I look?

Rockauto has Monroes for around $70 to $80 but I'm not sure if that is the way to go.

I would not mind disabling the system and simply put in regular shocks but I don't know how to do that.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2000 Catera
314 Posts
Re: 01 Catere Rear Suspension Question

I just bought Rear shocks for my 2000 sport. Piece of cake! I bought the Monroe Max Air shocks. I think they were $77 a pair! Much cheaper than the dealer price of $192 a piece. It's slightly stiffer than the factory shock but still really nice. For the money it's terrific! On the down side all you get is the shock. No strut mounts or air lines anything of that sort. But mine were still in great shape so I just resued them.

·
Registered
Cadillac
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: 01 Catere Rear Suspension Question

Did your air lines attach right to the shock without any problems?

·
Registered
2000 Catera
314 Posts
The fitting on the new shock it a little bit different. It's threaded whereas the stock is just pressed in and held on by a pin. You can still use the pin to hold it on but I don't think it seals too well. I haven't had any problems with it. But I don't ever tow anything or haul 400lb passengers so it's just fine! The rear end doesn't ever sag. But you may want to get a threaded fitting for the air line. I will do this also but for now it's ok and these shocks work great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts